Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 220v to 120v?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
DesignatedDecoy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default 220v to 120v?

assuming i have a 220v setup,
can i build a very short extension cord with soow wire and plug ends to turn a 220v setup into a 120v setup. I made a quick, ****ty drawing to illustrate what im talking about lol.

220v-120v.png  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
AknotOtoads
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

The 220V plug you have pictured, if wired "normally" will have one leg of 110V where the red line is drawn and one leg of 110V where the black line is drawn. Where the green line is drawn will be the neutral.
On the 110V outlet, you have one leg of 110V, one neutral and one ground.
To power your system with 110V; find the 110V leg and wire it to either the black or red line and connect the neutral to where the green line is drawn.

Hope this helps...

Old 10-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Are you talking about taking a 240v brewing system and adapting a plug so that you can brew on 120v sources? Yes as long as you're OK with getting only 1/4 of the wattage out of the element AND assuming your 120v circuit can handle the resulting amperage (probably will, given the 1/4 wattage).

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
DesignatedDecoy
Recipes 

I am the Opposite of an electricity guru but here is where i was coming from...
i thought of it as an electrical circuit. whether 120v is applied or 220v it doesn't matter. Therefore, in my mind, connecting a neutral to one of the 220v hot wires was not a big deal; it just completed the circuit. can someone enlighten me here?

I hope that makes sense to someone else besides me.
already loving this forum. i am looking forward to learning a lot and passing it on. thanks for the input.

can anyone recommend any youtube videos/tutorials relating to electrical work on keggles? For example, I understand things need to be grounded but would like to learn why, and i understand the ground is for safety but what triggers the ground wire to be used, etc. etc.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
raouliii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignatedDecoy View Post
I am the Opposite of an electricity guru but here is where i was coming from...
i thought of it as an electrical circuit. whether 120v is applied or 220v it doesn't matter. Therefore, in my mind, connecting a neutral to one of the 220v hot wires was not a big deal; it just completed the circuit. can someone enlighten me here?..........
It can be a very big deal. You really haven't explained much about your intentions, therefore it's very difficult to provide any recommendations.

Relative to your diagram. Is it your intention to use 120v AC power from the wall outlet, convert it to a 240v receptacle/plug configuration, to power a "boiler" that is already configured for operation at 240v AC?

If not, please explain.

If that is the case, as Bobby_M indicated, the heat element will operate at 1/4 power. In addition, any other components of the "boiler" will likely not operate correctly if they are designed for 240vac operation.
Horizocade Amber
Rochefort 7

In the Chamber:
Big Breasted Blonde

Next Up:
????

Old 10-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
DaleHair
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

What make a neutral a neutral is that it is bonded to the ground and metal enclosures, etc. In your house you have a 120/240v service with the center tap of the transformer bonded. If the service was 240v only, one of the 240v legs would be bonded and considered neutral.

What is important is the current carrying conductors be insulated where a grounding conductor does not need to be. So what you want to do is OK for your purpose. I don't know if you will be satisfied with your element working at 1/4 power.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
mux
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignatedDecoy
I am the Opposite of an electricity guru but here is where i was coming from... i thought of it as an electrical circuit. whether 120v is applied or 220v it doesn't matter. Therefore, in my mind, connecting a neutral to one of the 220v hot wires was not a big deal; it just completed the circuit. can someone enlighten me here? I hope that makes sense to someone else besides me. already loving this forum. i am looking forward to learning a lot and passing it on. thanks for the input. can anyone recommend any youtube videos/tutorials relating to electrical work on keggles? For example, I understand things need to be grounded but would like to learn why, and i understand the ground is for safety but what triggers the ground wire to be used, etc. etc.
Open your panel and have look. No neutral in that circuit. Now, if you are paying attention, then you are probably wondering "If there isn't a neutral wire then how is the circuit completed?" The answer is that when one hot wire is negative, then the other is positive, so the two hot wires complete the circuit together because they are "out of phase". This is why 240 volt circuits connect to double pole breakers that are essentially two single pole breakers tied together. In the main panel, every other breaker is out of phase with the adjoining breakers. So, in essence 240 volt wiring is powered by 2 - 120 volt hot wires that are 180 degrees out of phase.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
processhead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Are you talking about taking a 240v brewing system and adapting a plug so that you can brew on 120v sources? Yes as long as you're OK with getting only 1/4 of the wattage out of the element AND assuming your 120v circuit can handle the resulting amperage (probably will, given the 1/4 wattage).
Based on what you originally wrote and pictured, it sounds like you are doing what Bobby echoed.

Bobby's answer is spot on. If all you are powering is a boiler with a 220 volt element, it will heat at 1/4 power output if you wire it as you have shown.

How hard can it be?

Old 10-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignatedDecoy View Post
i thought of it as an electrical circuit. whether 120v is applied or 220v it doesn't matter.
Electrical components are designed to operate a certain way given certain voltage inputs so you can't choose alternate voltages without evaluating the implications.

To help you understand those implications, we need more info which is where my question came in:
Quote:

Are you talking about taking a 240v brewing system and adapting a plug so that you can brew on 120v sources?
If your diagram was more of a hypothetical question, it's probably better to get specific. It's really important not to screw up an electrical project.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
DocnSun
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

110 and a ground one leg of 220 is 110!

Quick Reply