The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 220 volt pumps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
adivito
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 220 volt pumps

Ive been reading alot around here, and amazed by what some people have done. I am in the process of setting up an all-electric rig and wanted to know peoples opinions on wiring 220 volt pumps in. Right now I am roughly following kals setup. Should I put in additional relays for the pumps, or is there a better way. Thanks for any help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011, 02:06 AM   #2
Junkster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm in the process of building an electric brewery too and I have a 240v pump. I've wired the pigtail on the pump to a 240v plug and plan on providing a 240v receptacle on the control panel for it to plug into. It's only a few dollars more than hardwiring, but I like the flexibility. I think I will power mine via a DPDT relay controlled by a small switch on the panel. I'm using 24VAC coils in my other contactors anyway so another small relay will be no problem to install. I will provide a smallish fuse or circuit breaker feeding the pump. There's no reason a plain ol' toggle switch wouldn't do the job just as well. It's a matter of personal preference I suppose. If you're thinking about any kind of future automation, then you may end up adding a relay anyway.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply