Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Electric Brewing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/)
-   -   22 gal pwm kettle (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/22-gal-pwm-kettle-211935/)

defenestrate 12-15-2010 05:19 PM

22 gal pwm kettle
 
i have a 22 gallon kettle on the way that i plan to build as electric. i got this size for 15 gal batch capacity, but will be running mostly 5-10 gallon batches. and plan on running a pwm with 5500 watt element. i'm going to be heating the mash and sparge water in the bk and will not be running a rims/herms-i just want to use the pwm for simple boil strength control. i know the 5500 is more than enough for 10 gal and overkill for 5, but i want to have more power than needed and to help speed up mash and sparge times.

i've been spending a lot of time trying to wrap my head around all of this electrical stuff. I have a 240 v outlet for my dryer- will i be able to run some sort of extension cord from the outlet to the box for this to work?

IrregularPulse 12-15-2010 05:21 PM

Yes, but how long are you running it? That will be a fairly expensive cord.

defenestrate 12-15-2010 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrregularPulse (Post 2478791)
Yes, but how long are you running it? That will be a fairly expensive cord.

15 ft if i want to brew outside. in my current townhouse i'm renting the dryer is right off the kitchen, so conceivably i could brew in the kitchen but i also would like to be able to run the cord out the door outside.

IrregularPulse 12-15-2010 05:52 PM

You're probably looking around 5-6 bucks a foot for the cable, then the connectors on either end.

defenestrate 12-15-2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrregularPulse (Post 2478896)
You're probably looking around 5-6 bucks a foot for the cable, then the connectors on either end.

yikes. if i were to run it inside, can i have the element plugged into the wall directly?

Hermit 12-15-2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrregularPulse (Post 2478896)
You're probably looking around 5-6 bucks a foot for the cable, then the connectors on either end.

I don't remember what I payed, but mine wasn't nearly that expensive at HD or Lowes. Don't remember which now.

IrregularPulse 12-15-2010 06:20 PM

You'll want 10g wire. Find out what you actually have power wise on the outlet. It will be between 240-220 likely. 5500W/the voltage will tell you your actual current draw. Your cable needs rated to at least this value.

SweetSounds 12-15-2010 06:24 PM

You need 10 gauge SO cable for that - It's not more then $1.00 a foot if you look around for it.

(Assuming your dryer is 30 amp 240v) If I were you I would build your control box (Housing the PWM) with a 25 foot 10/3 whip and the appropriate 30 amp connector on the other end.

IrregularPulse 12-15-2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetSounds (Post 2478989)
You need 10 gauge SO cable for that - It's not more then $1.00 a foot if you look around for it.

(Assuming your dryer is 30 amp 240v) If I were you I would build your control box (Housing the PWM) with a 25 foot 10/3 whip and the appropriate 30 amp connector on the other end.

Where do you find it for less than $1/ft?

http://www.awcwire.com/Part.aspx?code=300H36H8J53

SweetSounds 12-15-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrregularPulse (Post 2479013)
Where do you find it for less than $1/ft?

http://www.awcwire.com/Part.aspx?code=300H36H8J53

Might have been $2.00/ft
Buy a 10 gauge extension cord and cut the ends off.
Lowes/HomeDepot/Menards/Etc


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:33 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.