Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 2000w element BK

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
kappclark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Probably not as efficient as your system, but I have used 1 1KW bucket heaters with success for 6.5 gal boils- but the reflectix is key for increase in boil rate...made a big difference, have all around and on bottom and also on the lid. I love how quiet the boil is.

have not dealt with regulation of the boil with pids/ssr yet...will probably go 220 with keggle, and deal with at that time.

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Last edited by kappclark; 02-19-2011 at 07:19 PM. Reason: mispelling

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #12
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCuckerson View Post
My concern was with the phantom wort-scorching-high-density element myth. I have read of the concern, but have never witnessed credible evidence supporting that it actually occurs. I have also read several reports that state it is 100% myth (like most other things in the HB craft)..... I thought the sugar water, albeit different starches entirely, would test the scorch issue.

For the insulation, I was thinking of wood-clad. I know its not the best in terms of R-value, but man is it cool looking!

Thoughts?
I believe the myth you refer to has nothing to do with a boil kettle. The whole HWD scortching thing as I recall was with respect to using a HWD element in a RIMS tube not in a boil kettle.

Guy

Brewery URL: Black Dog Brewery NY

BBQ Team URL: Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team

Old 02-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #13
McCuckerson
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
I believe the myth you refer to has nothing to do with a boil kettle. The whole HWD scortching thing as I recall was with respect to using a HWD element in a RIMS tube not in a boil kettle.
I remember the Pol preaching to never use anything more than ULWD element in the boil kettle. Either way, I am very happy as to how this experiment is progressing.

"Real men drink their freakin' yeast starters...."

Old 02-19-2011, 10:35 PM   #14
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 396 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCuckerson View Post
If I can plan on 1/2 gallon boil off per batch, then I will be very happy with that.
What you can try, and what has worked well for me, is rather than boiling for a specific amount of time, or a set amount of boil off, I simply boil until I have reached a specific volume. Basicly I start the boil and add the bittering addition, then figure flavor and aroma timing by what I have left in the kettle...sounds complicated but in reality it is pretty simple. Usually a 60 - 75 minute boil depending, but a target final volume is the key IMO, rather than a specific boil time or boil off amount.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 02-19-2011, 10:47 PM   #15
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3061 Times on 1925 Posts
Likes Given: 2597

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
What you can try, and what has worked well for me, is rather than boiling for a specific amount of time, or a set amount of boil off, I simply boil until I have reached a specific volume. Basicly I start the boil and add the bittering addition, then figure flavor and aroma timing by what I have left in the kettle...sounds complicated but in reality it is pretty simple. Usually a 60 - 75 minute boil depending, but a target final volume is the key IMO, rather than a specific boil time or boil off amount.
Use a refractometer and boil to a specific gravity.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:27 AM   #16
McCuckerson
Recipes 

Equally good methods and if those work for you then go for it. I am hoping the boil off will be more consistent with the element versus the infinitely adjustable valve on my LPG tank. Also, if I miss it by a few points I will not be that broken up about it.

I still cannot believe just how easy it was to boil 6 gallons with this "tiny" element. I have been planning an EBK for a while but the infrastructure portion of the project has always been the snag. Awesome, just freakin awesome.....

Old 02-20-2011, 01:41 AM   #17
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have 2 1500 watt elements in my kettle, and they work fine. I don't have issues with wort scorching either with HWD elements. In fact, My wort was darker before I put in the elements. I boil off about 1-1.25 gallons per hour with my setup.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:36 AM   #18
McCuckerson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilishprune View Post
I have 2 1500 watt elements in my kettle, and they work fine. I don't have issues with wort scorching either with HWD elements. In fact, My wort was darker before I put in the elements. I boil off about 1-1.25 gallons per hour with my setup.
Do they both stay on the entire time, or do you turn one off once boil is achieved?

Old 02-20-2011, 07:06 PM   #19
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I haven't decided what I want to do yet. I'm leaning towards 2 elements so I can get more boil-off though.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:02 PM   #20
McCuckerson
Recipes 

I am going to E-brew this weekend. I am stoked, I hate paying blue rhino 20+ bucks for a 1/2 full tank of propane.

Do you guys think the size of the kettle has anything to do with boil rate? or the ability to boil with lower wattage? Right now the 2KW element is in a 7.5gal AL pot. If I moved the element to a keggle would I still achieve a boil for the same size batch? It should right? I mean its all based on the size of the liquid the element is in?

I'm cooking up a 120VAC, 2 keggle system..... Pics to come soon!!!! once I buck up the membership fee!

E-brew...... That sounds like Hebrew.... I swear I haven't had a drop yet.

Quick Reply