Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Is 2 vessel system basically no-sparge?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #11
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I suppose my thought was that I've topped out my MLT doing RIS or barleywines and am worried with not having enough space if my efficiency is significantly lower with a 2 vessel vs 3 vessel system.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 12:22 AM   #12
kjones
Recipes 

I'm trying to understand the two vessel gravity/ pump system. so you heat your water to strike temp in in the mlt then add grain then turn pump on and recir. through bk and back up just to keep temp even. Then you turn off pump heat sparge water in bk then recir. Again?

Old 05-19-2012, 12:27 AM   #13
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Generally you start with your full volume of water in the BK, then you heat up to whatever temp you need for mash. Then you pump up to the mash tun and mash for one hour, during that time you can bring up your BK to mash-out temps. Then you start to let the mash tun drain into the BK, and the BK is pumped up to the mash tun. Once the wort is all consistent (I read 30 minutes or so) you let it all drain to the BK and start your boil.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 05-19-2012, 12:47 AM   #14
kjones
Recipes 

Hmm. I don't get it why not just heat up the water in the mlt otherwise whats the pt. of it even having a burner

Old 05-19-2012, 12:52 AM   #15
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mine wouldn't have a burner in the MLT, I'd be using my 10 gallon cooler.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #16
Demon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjones View Post
Hmm. I don't get it why not just heat up the water in the mlt otherwise whats the pt. of it even having a burner
My upper burner is only for five gallon batches. With those I do a full volume mash and recirculate with all liquid in the mash tun. I fire that burner for minor temp corrections. Nothing is in the boil kettle until its time to boil.

For 10 gallons I do as previously described and split the liquid between both vessels and recirculate across, firing the lower burner for temp correction.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #17
kjones
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon

My upper burner is only for five gallon batches. With those I do a full volume mash and recirculate with all liquid in the mash tun. I fire that burner for minor temp corrections. Nothing is in the boil kettle until its time to boil.

For 10 gallons I do as previously described and split the liquid between both vessels and recirculate across, firing the lower burner for temp correction.
So you are recirculating during the whole mash time with the entire amount of water used in the batch? If wanted a true sparge and not just a "mash out" then a third vessel is required

Old 05-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #18
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
Generally you start with your full volume of water in the BK, then you heat up to whatever temp you need for mash. Then you pump up to the mash tun and mash for one hour, during that time you can bring up your BK to mash-out temps. Then you start to let the mash tun drain into the BK, and the BK is pumped up to the mash tun. Once the wort is all consistent (I read 30 minutes or so) you let it all drain to the BK and start your boil.
So at the beginning of your sparge, you have the runnings from your mash going into your sparge water? You are then sparging with diluted runnings throughout your mash?

Just making sure I understand correctly? I've been contemplating the brutus 20 system.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #19
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
So at the beginning of your sparge, you have the runnings from your mash going into your sparge water? You are then sparging with diluted runnings throughout your mash?

Just making sure I understand correctly? I've been contemplating the brutus 20 system.

That's the idea. It's called "continuous batch sparge." I've always been doing ten gallon batches so during the mash I only use the strike water and heat of the "sparge" water separately.

If you have a RIMS tube, recirculation, temp control, mash out, and sparge are really easy.

I eventually added a third vessel to do traditional batch sparging. Efficiency is a bit better, but honestly not tremendously different. Only thing I really love about my three vessel system are the bottom draining keggles and the BK dump valve for easy clean in place.

Give it a shot. This is a great way to brew.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 05-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #20
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 907 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I don't get the terminology "continuous batch sparge". If you mash with a reduced volume and then add additional water to the system to dilute the gravity, it's closer to no sparge. The only difference is that you've mashed at a lower ratio. Maybe something like "thick mash, no sparge" or "recirculating no sparge". I know it's not that important. In any case, this is pretty close to a single vessel BIAB no sparge system but getting more capacity by splitting between two vessels. You'd get the same result from two 10 gallon vessels or one 20 gallon (BIAB).

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply