Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 12x12x6 BCS-460 Control panel is a tight fit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default 12x12x6 BCS-460 Control panel is a tight fit

I've started slowly building my control panel using a NEMA 12x12x6 steel box. the plan is to have a 4 wire dryer out let provide the main power, from a 4 wire 30A 250VAC GFI protected cord. For now I will be using propane for the boil, but eventually I want to run all electric. The control panel will for now just be running the 5K watt heating element in the HLT, and the two pumps.

As of right now I have laid it all out and it will all fit, but its going to be tight. I have started cutting the box for the receptacles, and have marked the positions for the switched. so more pictures to follow. library-1627.jpg

library-1623.jpg

library-1620.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #2
jcav
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Your doing a great job so far, nice color blue you chose there. I'm tackling cutting out all the holes and squares on my box very soon, so keep them pics coming!

Good luck with the rest of your build,

John

"Talent is hitting a target no one else can hit. Genius is hitting a target no one else can see."

"Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they really aren't after you!"

Old 09-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
Bsquared

Recipes 

It came that color blue, and the steel is really thick. My neighbor who built a control panel from Kal book, said it is thicker than the box he cut. I'm glad I'm not cutting any squares for PID's. Hopefully I'll do some more on it soon. I'm at home on Paternity leave watching my 5 month old, I thought Id have lots of time to work on the brewery, but boy was I wrong. I swear I heard my wife say she was going to let me do what I wanted on the weekends, I guess she meant I can do what I want from her Honey-do list on the weekends.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
jcav
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsquared View Post
It came that color blue, and the steel is really thick. My neighbor who built a control panel from Kal book, said it is thicker than the box he cut. I'm glad I'm not cutting any squares for PID's. Hopefully I'll do some more on it soon. I'm at home on Paternity leave watching my 5 month old, I thought Id have lots of time to work on the brewery, but boy was I wrong. I swear I heard my wife say she was going to let me do what I wanted on the weekends, I guess she meant I can do what I want from her Honey-do list on the weekends.
Been there before, I have three boys but they are all grown now. I remember those days! That's ok your a good father and that's the most important job you will ever have. Congrats on your new born! You'll find time here and there to work on your brewery. As for the honeydew list, I still am finding ways to dodge that after 25 years of marriage. One thing I have learned is when she's happy I'm happy!

Good Luck!

John

"Talent is hitting a target no one else can hit. Genius is hitting a target no one else can see."

"Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they really aren't after you!"

Old 09-21-2011, 04:06 AM   #5
Bsquared

Recipes 

Thanks Jcav, It's really rewarding work...being a father that is.

So I got a few free hrs in the week to work on this, I have been debating the placement of the BCS and Wireless router 12v wallworts, because they take up a lot of dead space. I like the idea of keeping them inside to box, so I worked out this configuration with the BCS and the power supply mounted on the door.

Next I am not using a conventional heat sink, what I have is a 2.5x.75 in aluminum rectangular tube with 5 SSR's mounted on one side with a fan on the other.

Maybe tomorrow Ill get to do some more work.

last-12-months-885.jpg

last-12-months-886.jpg

last-12-months-888.jpg

last-12-months-889.jpg

Old 09-22-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
Bsquared

Recipes 

Default Wishing for a slightly biger box

Okay after a bit more thought and arrangement I think I have most everything mounted inside the box, the next step will be to wire it up. I'm definitely wishing I went for a slightly bigger box, this is going to work but there is little wiggle room.

I ended up taping screw threads on to the sides of the box and am going to mount my hot and neutral buses there. I put three switches on the door that will be for turning the power on.The first is the keyed switch that will turn on my wireless router,next will be the green switch the will turn on the BCS460, and finally the red switch will power on the main relay. This way if I want to work or program the BCS I don't have to power the whole system up.

I put a selector to toggle between HLT and BK 240 outlets, and amber indicator lights near the switch and will have two 240vac pilot lights connected directly to the receptacles to indicate when they are energized.

And finally I mounted 4 1/4"RCA jacks on the door to work as disconnects for the thermocouplers.

Hopefully I'll get to do some wiring this weekend, and maybe power it up next week.

library-1647.jpg

library-1648.jpg

library-1650.jpg

library-1651.jpg

Old 09-22-2011, 11:33 PM   #7
Brew52
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 11 Posts

Great Job! with the box so far. Wish you could have seen the look on my face when I seen that your box was Blue because I am just getting ready to build a control box myself and decided that I would paint it with "New Holland" blue as in the farm tractor color. Now that I have seen your box, I will definately go with the blue. If you haven't decided what color to make your switch labels yet, I have found that Yellow looks great with that color blue. Please keep up with the pics because I have no idea how to wire these things. I will post my pics when I get started. (Probably a month or so away)

Old 09-23-2011, 12:56 AM   #8
Bsquared

Recipes 

PJ on this forum is the wiring diagram master, I really would have no idea how to do wire a control box with out the input from PJ and the awesome web site set up by kal, Theelectiricbrewery.com. Search his posts, I'm sure you can find a wiring diagram of his that will fit your needs.

Its coming together nicely, and I'm excited to wire it up, I have it mostly mapped out so there will not be a lot of wire clutter. I want to keep the wires nice and tight.

I found this box on ebay, ti was all ready painted blue, as for colors for the labeling, now that you mentioned it. I will be using Orange. Orange and blue the colors from the gulf Porsche racing team from the 80's.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:09 AM   #9
P-J
Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsquared View Post
PJ on this forum is the wiring diagram master, I really would have no idea how to do wire a control box with out the input from PJ and the awesome web site set up by kal, Theelectiricbrewery.com. Search his posts, I'm sure you can find a wiring diagram of his that will fit your needs.
Wow. You honor me. Thanks. If you or Brew52 needs a custom diagram, just let me know and I'll do my best to help. I've drawn a few after all.

P-J

Quote:
Its coming together nicely, and I'm excited to wire it up, I have it mostly mapped out so there will not be a lot of wire clutter. I want to keep the wires nice and tight.

I found this box on ebay, ti was all ready painted blue, as for colors for the labeling, now that you mentioned it. I will be using Orange. Orange and blue the colors from the gulf Porsche racing team from the 80's.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
missing link
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I used female spade connectors on the AC adapter for the BCS. That would free up alot of space in your box.

What kind of wireless router are you using? That is the only thing I haven't completed. Plugging the laptop in via cat 5 cable is annoying.

Linc

Tap#1 = Beer
Tap#2 = Beer

THey change to often to keep up with the Sig.

Quick Reply