Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 120v on 220v element?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2011, 02:16 AM   #21
PurpleJeepXJ
Ah... Leafy Goodness
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well then I would say wait until you move and then build a rig to run off of a properly wired 220v line. And SPARKY you were thinking the same as me and my brain just decided to F^ck up on me. Good call on wanting to check the overall existing loads.

I support the Sternewirth Privilege... Especially for Home Brewers!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2011, 02:19 AM   #22
itsme6582
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I am working on the assumption that the current 120 line will be upgraded to a 220 line in the future. This is just how I plan my projects. What will be the possible future upgrades? Is there anything that I can do now to make what I have upgradeable. If the difference in price is very small, which it is with a 120 and 220 element, I go that route. This is just my method of reasoning.

And... I was just trying to answer the question. Thanks for confirming the 75%. I love being right. It seems to be less and less often anymore.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:20 AM   #23
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleJeepXJ View Post
If you cant get a 220v main line to the element then run a high amp extension cord from a separate 120v circuit on the other phase side of your panel. Wire the neutrals together and one of the blacks as the red. It will work... Thats how I set it up for a friend of mine.
Oh lord. Flaming armchair electrician sh*tstorm in 3...2...1...

Old 03-07-2011, 02:35 AM   #24
hatrickwah
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I'll definitely be doing 220v when we move, in fact the wife is all for building a designated brewery room/lean to/something so she won't have to wrestle with all my gear floating around the house. I'm thinking I will probably just suck it up, grab a 120v element with the same threading size so that all I will have to do is swap out the element down the road. I'll pick up the necessary wire and plugs for a 220v setup, and just wire it in as 120v for now. I just hope the 1000w or 1500w element can get the 10 gallon batch to boil in a decent amount of time.

Am I good on my math in saying that a 25a SSR (currently have) would run a 1500w element running at 12.5a?

Keeping busy brewing & building.

Electric Brewing Supply

My e-Brewery | Keezer Build & Tap Tower Refurbish |Glycol System

Old 03-07-2011, 02:37 AM   #25
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Seriously, it'll take you probably two months just to order all the parts/pieces, build a control panel, drill the holes in your kettles, wire everything up, etc.. If you're moving in two months, make a detailed plan and start ordering parts for a 220V system. By the time you're done putting it together you'll be moved into your new place.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:49 AM   #26
LakewoodBrew
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatrickwah View Post
I'll definitely be doing 220v when we move, in fact the wife is all for building a designated brewery room/lean to/something so she won't have to wrestle with all my gear floating around the house. I'm thinking I will probably just suck it up, grab a 120v element with the same threading size so that all I will have to do is swap out the element down the road. I'll pick up the necessary wire and plugs for a 220v setup, and just wire it in as 120v for now. I just hope the 1000w or 1500w element can get the 10 gallon batch to boil in a decent amount of time.

Am I good on my math in saying that a 25a SSR (currently have) would run a 1500w element running at 12.5a?
Check the voltage rating to see if it will last through the voltage upgrade (should be rated for 400V or more for a 240V service)

the 25A rating will run a 25A resistive load, assuming you have it properly heat sinked and all junctions are properly wetted. You can always run a lower current load with the device. Although there is a sort of theoretical minimum load, below which the resistance is so low that the device will not properly turn off. In this case you just need to add a resistive shunt circuit to clamp the output.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:53 AM   #27
LakewoodBrew
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just FYI - I use a 40A 600V SSR to run my 5500W element from a two pole single phase 220VAC source. I am using a Crydom at the moment although i also have an Ebay china SSR that has been tested. I overspec'd because the thermal dissipation challenges increase with switching rates and I didn't want to worry about junction temperatures.

Oh and you would cook 14ga wire if you tried to jerryrig a 2-pole service for this project.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:08 AM   #28
PurpleJeepXJ
Ah... Leafy Goodness
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yep Jkarp I must be wrong... Guess I don't know what I am talking about.

I support the Sternewirth Privilege... Especially for Home Brewers!!

Old 03-07-2011, 03:09 AM   #29
hatrickwah
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Turns out, I mixed up my SSRs, the 25a one is running my keezer. Guess I'll have to order one or 2 40a ssrs anyway. I'll probably get the ones from Auber since I also need to order an RTD or other temperature probe to attach the PID to my kettle.
With any luck, I could pull the few pieces I need together pretty quick, all ready have a control panel, but I will probably drag my feet for a while to see what happens in the near future before putting time and money into this.
Thanks for the help.

Keeping busy brewing & building.

Electric Brewing Supply

My e-Brewery | Keezer Build & Tap Tower Refurbish |Glycol System

Old 03-07-2011, 03:34 AM   #30
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

the e-bay china ones get to me in a week, I was surprised when that showed up before alot of the other stuff I ordered that didn't have to cross the Pacific

Quick Reply