Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 110v Recirculating eBIAB 2.5 gallon batches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 04:18 AM   #61
AlphaWolf-Brewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How do you go about keeping your bag off of the element? Or are you even concerned about it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #62
bayoujeeper
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
I have had several requests for the first diagram (page 1 on this thread) to have an added 2nd element for a 120V system.

So I spent some time making a drawing for that setup. Power is being fed from 2 seperate 20A 120V GFCI outlets. It includes E-Stop that will trip both GFCI outlets at once.

I hope this is of help to thedude00 and others that have requested it.

As always - Click on the image to see a full scale diagram printable on Tabloid paper (11" x 17")

Wishing all the best.

P-J

Thanks a million for the two element drawing P-J!! My only question (Sorry I am a newb to this) is with one PID, does it control both elements. For example if I set my Mash temp to 152, it will be firing both elements to achieve this temp. Then in Manual mode it will fire both elements to achieve my boil?
Dustin

Old 08-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #63
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoujeeper View Post
Thanks a million for the two element drawing P-J!! My only question (Sorry I am a newb to this) is with one PID, does it control both elements. For example if I set my Mash temp to 152, it will be firing both elements to achieve this temp. Then in Manual mode it will fire both elements to achieve my boil?
Dustin
That is correct. You also have control over each element with switches 1 & 2. This allows you to have them both powered or just one or the other.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #64
jrb03
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf-Brewery View Post
How do you go about keeping your bag off of the element? Or are you even concerned about it?
I use the paint strainer bags from lowes and they touch the element without issue, yet. My intentions were to use the basket that came with my pot but the lid doesn't sit flush with the basket in. I decided to try it without basket and it seems to work fine.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:08 AM   #65
bayoujeeper
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
That is correct. You also have control over each element with switches 1 & 2. This allows you to have them both powered or just one or the other.
Awesome! Thanks again!

Old 08-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #66
detlion1643
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Awesome project! Caught my eye since it's on a 110v system, and got my brain thinking (which according to swmbo means uh-oh, project, money, and time lol).

I have a corner of a spare room in our place to take over, and using 1 pot instead of 3 would just be perfect for me. However, I did 1 extract kit so far and got kicked out of the kitchen, so would this be viable to mix the extracts, or would the heating element prevent doing that? Also, to provide the main 110v, did you cut an end off the extension cord you keep bringing up from an outlet, or did you "skip" the outlet and use the wire straight from a breaker?

Either way I'm already thinking of ways to implement a system like this since I just like doing tech related stuff. Woosh, back to the drawing board!!!

Old 08-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #67
jrb03
Recipes 

The extension cord plugs into the wall. I'm not real sure about the extracts, but I have read people using electric kettles to do extracts. Maybe someone who has done it can give more info.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #68
jammin
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 184 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 124

I have everything put together finally and have one snag.

The contactor keeps buzzing loudly when turn the switch on for it. Any ideas on what I did wrong?

I am also wondering what the purpose of the contactor is? Seem like the button could go straight to the element?

Old 08-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #69
jrb03
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin
I have everything put together finally and have one snag.

The contactor keeps buzzing loudly when turn the switch on for it. Any ideas on what I did wrong?

I am also wondering what the purpose of the contactor is? Seem like the button could go straight to the element?
Contactors buzz but I wouldn't really call it loudly. You can hear it though. Your probably ok. The contactor is needed because the switches aren't rated for the amps the element pulls.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:42 PM   #70
jammin
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 184 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 124

It sounds like the buzzer on a dryer. Quite loud. Do you think the contractor might be faulty?

Quick Reply