Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 110v Recirculating eBIAB 2.5 gallon batches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 04:47 AM   #291
inhousebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

the shirron plat chiller works fantastic! Before I "downgraded" to three 2.5 gallon batches I used it all the time on five gallon ones.

I hate Walder Frey...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 05:07 AM   #292
jrb03
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoCowboy View Post
jrb, curious as to what size plate chiller you have. I would imagine you don't need a large one for your batch size.
Mine is the duda diesel 10 plate chiller. I would probably go 20 plate if I was to do it again, but only for future consideration. The 10 plate works fine for this batch size and was super cheap.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #293
cheesecake
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Im using the shirron but thinking of switching to a immersion chiller. Less loss and less mess in the kitchen

Old 02-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #294
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Great build! I am doing something very similar with these modification. 1) No pump switch as I already have a dedicated pump box. 2) A contactor for main power supply as this is going to be eventually upgraded to 240V and I light have a switch for main power.

With the adjustments mentioned above I have a few questions.

1) Can I connect 2 contactors together to tidy up wiring. What I mean by this is the first contactor will switch main power on. Then, as opposed to have having the power go from contactor 1 to the terminal strip then from the terminal strip to contactor 2 to control the element, can I have to power go from contactor 1 directly to contactor 2 then to the element? (I will also have a 14G wire go from contactor 1 to the terminal strip to power everything else.)

2) I read that on 120V system switching the neutral is not need and does not need to be hooked up to the contractors. Again this would clean up some wiring. Is this true?

3) Does the orientation of the contactors matter as far as line in and out, or does it just depend on how you wire it up?

Old 02-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #295
Alfalfa_Male
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb03 View Post
I've had several requests about my narrow pot. Ive had it for years, and have not been able to find another one like it. It was sold with a basket, and intended for outdoor frying. All the pots I see now are shorter and wider. If anyone finds something like it please let us know!
Found this on ebay. It looks similar to yours. ~$75 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200890640551

Here's a 9 Gal version for ~$15 more.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200890640560

-mark-

Old 02-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #296
jrb03
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfalfa_Male

Found this on ebay. It looks similar to yours. ~$75 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200890640551

Here's a 9 Gal version for ~$15 more.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200890640560

-mark-
Thank you, that 6 gallon looks exactly like mine!

Old 02-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #297
jbnla
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default How to ground to kettle with non J box connections

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb03 View Post
Well I got everything completed and first brew done! I want to give PJ a big thank you for the drawing, it's exactly what I wanted. It was a true joy to brew on this system.

First, I got the element wired up. I decided to try using this 1 1/4" rubber coupling. Other than the weird smell, it seems to work great. I stole this idea somewhere on this forum. I found a male adapter that fits perfect in the coupling. I like the light at the female end of the extension cord I hacked up. Let's me see when the element is on.

I decided to try BM's Cream of Three Crops for my first brew, sounds perfect for football season. Here is the system setup for mash in.

The recirculation works great, I overshot my og because I planned for 70% efficiency but got 79%. I also used my ugly junk corona mill for the first time.

After a 10 min mashout at 170 it took 20 mins to get to a hard rolling boil. I left the PID at 100% manual mode and liked the boil strength for the 3.5 gallons. I boiled off .75 gallon an hour like in my water test last night. I think the 10" diameter pot is keeping the boil off rate low.

I forgot to take a pic of my plate chiller setup. It took about 10 mins to get from boiling down to 89' which is the ground water temp right now. I pumped into the better bottle and put it away in the ferm freezer to chill down.

I checked it after 4 hours and I was down to 65'. Pitched half a pouch of US-05.

Can't wait to brew again!
Your Build has been a great service. Thanks
Did you ever change your element connection. ? How did you handle the ground to kettle on your rubber coupling? Your build and several listed in this thread have connections without a J box but some form of rubber or PVC coupling or cap. Those that solder are the only ones I could actually see in the pictures. I would appreciate any info and hopefully pics on your method.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #298
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 711 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 273

hi folks - amazing thread. i will be building my system over the coming weeks/months and will be basing the mash temp control around P-J's design.

i am currently struggling with one issue: how would i modify the original design if i wanted to keep the pump out of the PID? I plan on constantly recirculating during the mash so no need for automated control. in the current design is there an option to put the pump on manual (i.e. always on)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jCOSbrew View Post
Ranco 1 stage temp controller can handle 15 amps w/ internal relay. This could be used for a basic setup, no control panel required.
very useful tip, thanks. i had asked something similar about the Johnson A419 (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/joh...9-rims-388083/) and someone mentioned that "The Johnson only cycles on and off with a 2 degree swing, even set at its narrowest offset setting." so until i get my PID box built i might use a Ranco. i can use it for fermentation control once it's been replaced by the PID.

thanks everyone!

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 02-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #299
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 711 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post
I made a post about PID instructions if you can find it.
jammin, could you point me to this post? i can't seem to find it...

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 02-12-2013, 11:58 PM   #300
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 259 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
i am currently struggling with one issue: how would i modify the original design if i wanted to keep the pump out of the PID? I plan on constantly recirculating during the mash so no need for automated control. in the current design is there an option to put the pump on manual (i.e. always on)?

The pump is independently controlled with its own switch. It does not and is not controlled in any way by the PID.

Quick Reply