Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 110v Recirculating eBIAB 2.5 gallon batches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #211
cheesecake
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was looking at that buy they want just as much to ship it as they want for the element

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 09:08 PM   #212
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Well I'm not following this whole setup exactly but I have more or less pieced together all the parts to do basically the same thing so thanks again for this great build thread! I've got almost everything I need and am ready to get started.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 01-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #213
cheesecake
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

What are you guys using for grain bags. Also does your grain bag touch the element? I ran a test batch with a hwd element and I had some burning on the element from hop sludge.(Built a shield to stop the bag from touching the hwd element ) im just wondering because I ordered the lwd element and was just wondering about it touching the bag

Old 01-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #214
Wagon_6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use the 5 gallon paint strainer bags from Lowe's, $3.50 for 2, and the basket that came with the bayou kettle keeps it off the element. I believe jrb mentioned he doesn't use the basket and hasn't had any issues with scorching.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:02 AM   #215
jrb03
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Correct I use a paint strainer bag from lowes. The same bag for about 10 brews now. It touches the element without issue yet. I don't see the need to use the basket on mine so far. I worried about the holes on the basket restricting flow too much and tried without, and haven't seen the need to change. I use a hop bag during the boil so no hop sludge or other additions to worry about scorching.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:41 AM   #216
cheesecake
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb03 View Post
Correct I use a paint strainer bag from lowes. The same bag for about 10 brews now. It touches the element without issue yet. I don't see the need to use the basket on mine so far. I worried about the holes on the basket restricting flow too much and tried without, and haven't seen the need to change. I use a hop bag during the boil so no hop sludge or other additions to worry about scorching.
Thanks thats what I was hoping for

Old 01-03-2013, 01:57 AM   #217
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Hey jrb, I copied your diptube you have shown in the first page or so on my new kettle. I don't have the element up and running yet but I've done two test batches while recirculating the wort with just a little bit of heat from the stove and I'm getting my bag sucked into the diptube which is causing the pump to sound like it's going to explode.

Have you or anyone else had this issue? How much clearance does your SS elbow sit from the bottom of the kettle? I've been able to lift it up and pin it but it's a pain in the butt to do so with clothespins. I may need to think about something to put over it.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 01-03-2013, 02:07 AM   #218
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb03 View Post
^same

I need to start employing a mesh bag for my hops though. I tried the infamous stainess filter with poor resuls. I think mesh bags will be the trick. With the small batch sizes, I hate losing brew to trub in the fermenter.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:40 AM   #219
jrb03
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhousebrew View Post
Hey jrb, I copied your diptube you have shown in the first page or so on my new kettle. I don't have the element up and running yet but I've done two test batches while recirculating the wort with just a little bit of heat from the stove and I'm getting my bag sucked into the diptube which is causing the pump to sound like it's going to explode.

Have you or anyone else had this issue? How much clearance does your SS elbow sit from the bottom of the kettle? I've been able to lift it up and pin it but it's a pain in the butt to do so with clothespins. I may need to think about something to put over it.
My stainless elbow is very close to the bottom of the kettle, maybe 1/8" or a touch more. It doesn't leave but a few ounces in the kettle when I pump out. I didn't mean for it to be so close actually, but it seams to work great as is. I have never had it suck up my bag, never thought of that! My paint strainer bag is a little tapered towards the middle, I don't know that it could be sucked up. I will take a look at that closer on Friday when I plan to brew an Irish red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post
^same

I need to start employing a mesh bag for my hops though. I tried the infamous stainess filter with poor resuls. I think mesh bags will be the trick. With the small batch sizes, I hate losing brew to trub in the fermenter.
Thanks for the update on the stainless filter. I've been eyeing something like that but will stick with the trusty hop bags!

Old 01-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #220
cheesecake
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRkb...e_gdata_player

Quick Reply