The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 110v Recirculating eBIAB 2.5 gallon batches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 02:33 AM   #141
jrb03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhousebrew View Post
So I'm looking more and more into something like this and have been thinking about some of the parts and how I could adjust to my desire. First I don't really feel the need for a sight glass, they are nice, but extra money and cleaning. So that got me thinking about the temperature probe and I've been looking at a few others on the website.

There is this one which is cheap and it says the probe and cable are water immersible and work up to 250*. If this is true could I just drop it in the center of the bag for an accurate reading? But for some reason this seems to easy/good/cheap to be true.

Otherwise, I was thinking about this one which is a 1/2" and I figured I could attach it to a three way pipe joint coming out of the pump. That way I would get the temp of the fresh wort coming out of the pump and could also use it coming out of the plate chiller as well. It's more pricey plus I would need extra tubing, connects and a pipe joint.

Or I could just go your route minus the sight glass.
The T coming to the pump is a great idea and how I was originally going to do it. If you don't want a sight-glass that is definitely the way to go. I'd be real leery of just tossing a probe and cable into the middle of a pot to bounce around and just be in the way. Only negative to the T is the pump has to be on to get a reading, but my pump is always on during strike and mash.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 02:59 AM   #142
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb03 View Post
I'd be real leery of just tossing a probe and cable into the middle of a pot to bounce around and just be in the way.
Are you leery of the probe being in the way? Or of it not working accurately? It seems easy enough to me: toss it in for strike water, take it out pour you're grain in, mix, put it back in, leave it for the mash and take it out.... Now that I write that it does seem slightly in the way.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 11-29-2012, 03:02 AM   #143
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Also, now that I think about it JRB (and anyone else who does something like this), how do you set the PID for the mash? Do you set it to your desired mash temp, say 152*, hit that temp than dough in? The grain addition would cool it down and it would need to rise back up to your mash temp.

Or set it higher , say 165* for a 154* mash so that when you add grain it cools it down to the mash temp and then you need to reset the PID to hold mash temp?

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 11-29-2012, 03:10 AM   #144
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Plug your numbers into one of the many online mash calculators:

Grain weight
Grain temp
Desired mash temp

That will give you your strike temp - which you set the PID to. Before doughing in, set the PID to actual desired mash temp or else the element will try raise it up to strike temp.

In a nutshell:

Heat water to strike temp
Turn PID down to mash temp
Add grain
Relax for an hour

Old 11-29-2012, 03:21 AM   #145
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post
to strike temp.

In a nutshell:

Heat water to strike temp
Turn PID down to mash temp
Add grain
Relax for an hour
Thanks, just a quandery I had about how best to do that. That is kind of what I figured. I use beersmith so have no problem figuring out strike temp but was wondering how you did it with the PID.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 11-29-2012, 03:32 AM   #146
jrb03
Recipes 

I do exactly like jammin. Especially the relax for an hour

And yes, the probe would annoy the crap out of me just tossed into the pot. It would be in my way while trying to stir etc. I wouldn't blink an eye to spending the extra dough to mount it, but hey that's just me and the way I roll.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:33 AM   #147
BoxBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhousebrew
Also, now that I think about it JRB (and anyone else who does something like this), how do you set the PID for the mash? Do you set it to your desired mash temp, say 152*, hit that temp than dough in? The grain addition would cool it down and it would need to rise back up to your mash temp.

Or set it higher , say 165* for a 154* mash so that when you add grain it cools it down to the mash temp and then you need to reset the PID to hold mash temp?
The guy on theelectricbrewery.com doesn't even bother with a strike temp, as it doesn't take that long for the system to come back up to mashing temp. To each their own I guess. I think I might follow the advice on heating to strike, lowering the PID and then doughing in.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:07 AM   #148
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxBrewer View Post
The guy on theelectricbrewery.com doesn't even bother with a strike temp, as it doesn't take that long for the system to come back up to mashing temp. To each their own I guess. I think I might follow the advice on heating to strike, lowering the PID and then doughing in.
I guess that depends on how fast you can heat then. As with most brewing systems, it seems there is more that one right answer.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 11-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #149
BoxBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Got my Auberins order today! Almost done getting it all mounted, still waiting for my fuse holders in the mail...

Old 11-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #150
jrb03
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxBrewer
Got my Auberins order today! Almost done getting it all mounted, still waiting for my fuse holders in the mail...
Looks great! I need to get some labels, you pushed me over the lazy edge.

Quick Reply