The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 110v Recirculating eBIAB 2.5 gallon batches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 11:14 PM   #131
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxBrewer View Post
So is there a reason you guys are putting the inlet for the recirculated mash through the lid rather than at the top on the side? I feel like I would rather have it there, but I'd like to hear if there is a reason not to. I think the whirlpool effect of having it on the side could bring your efficiency up even more.
Your return inlet could be mounted to the side w/o issue. I doubt the "whirlpool" effect would have any bearing on your efficiency unfortunately.

The nice thing about returning the wort through the lid, is that it makes it flow right through the grain. If you were returning through the side of the kettle, you would be forced to return the wort outside of the grain bag. The flow directly into the bag continuously agitates the grain; at least in my experience.

Do what works for you though! I'm sure either way will make great beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 05:48 AM   #132
jrb03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Ya I wanted my recirculation to go through the grain bag too, not bypass it. And your not gonna get much whirlpool action with the small pump.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #133
cmw6300
Recipes 

Has anyone tried hooking up a shower head type nozzle to the underside of the lid for the recirculation? I think it would be a little better to disperse the recirculated wort rather than having it just pour straight through from a 1/2" fitting. Anyone?

Chad

Drinking: Wee Heavy
Primary 1: Brown Bear Porter
Primary 2:
Secondary:
Aging: Snowcloud Chocolate Millk Stout

Next up: Kicking Horse Helles

Old 11-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #134
BoxBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Ordered my electronics yesterday. Still doing some planning for the kettle and all the fittings. My plan is to use this to spray the recirculated wort, similar to the High Gravity kit. Also, I want to use this aerator for when I put the wort into the fermentor. Hoping to get a nice aeration without shaking

Old 11-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #135
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1821 Times on 1121 Posts
Likes Given: 2617

Nice schematic P-J!

I'm embarrassed to say I stared at the E-stop for quite a long time and didn't figure it out. Everything else was so simple, in a good way. Showed the schematic to my son and his friend the other night and told them I didn't get the E-stop. They took a quick look at it and were like, "Dad, you're overthinkng this, it provides the path of least resistance to ground" Duh.

Beautiful schematic P-J. I've studied and used many electrical and hydraulic schematics for work over the years, sometimes think I would do "this" or "that" differently. But to come up with a design on my own.. no way.

These electrical brew threads have got me looking back into my old basic electricity and electronics books.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #136
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw6300 View Post
Has anyone tried hooking up a shower head type nozzle to the underside of the lid for the recirculation? I think it would be a little better to disperse the recirculated wort rather than having it just pour straight through from a 1/2" fitting. Anyone?

Chad
this might work:

http://www.homebrewstuff.com/siphon-spray-aerator.html

Old 11-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #137
BoxBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw6300

Chad
Check out my previous post. I have a link to a mini brass adjustable spray nozzle I'm going to use.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:02 AM   #138
jrb03
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

I was in Academy Sports over the weekend and found my tall narrow pot for sale. It's $49, pretty good for the price. I still think this is the perfect size pot for e-small batch.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #139
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

So I'm looking more and more into something like this and have been thinking about some of the parts and how I could adjust to my desire. First I don't really feel the need for a sight glass, they are nice, but extra money and cleaning. So that got me thinking about the temperature probe and I've been looking at a few others on the website.

There is this one which is cheap and it says the probe and cable are water immersible and work up to 250*. If this is true could I just drop it in the center of the bag for an accurate reading? But for some reason this seems to easy/good/cheap to be true.

Otherwise, I was thinking about this one which is a 1/2" and I figured I could attach it to a three way pipe joint coming out of the pump. That way I would get the temp of the fresh wort coming out of the pump and could also use it coming out of the plate chiller as well. It's more pricey plus I would need extra tubing, connects and a pipe joint.

Or I could just go your route minus the sight glass.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 11-29-2012, 12:41 AM   #140
captain_brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So in regards to wiring the E-Stop switch. I have the auber E-Stop that's listed. It is a switch that has 2 blocks on it. 1 NO, and 1 NC.

1 4
N N
C O
2 3

In the diagram there are just 3 dots in the switch. How do I wire this part? Right now I have the ground going into "3" and the hot line with resistors going into "1".

I think it should be Hot = 4 Ground = 3. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Everything else is wired and great!

Thanks,
CB

Quick Reply