Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 110v Hlt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #11
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9 View Post
Use two 2000w elements mounted in the keggle. Works fine for HLT or can boil 12-13 gallons no problem.
Since the OP was a bit confused by this, this requires two circuits, right?

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 05:34 AM   #12
thargrav
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You will need two 20 amp circuits to run two 2000 watt elements, but it's not that big a deal since any house wired since the 1970's should have two dedicated 20 amp kitchen circuits. One circuit will be along one wall and the other will be along the opposite wall. Just make sure nothing else attempts to run while brewing.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Two circuits are needed, yes.

If you're in a house, its not tremendously difficult to learn how to add circuits to your electrical panel. I don't think it's horribly expensive to hire a pro, either, although I have never done that so can't really speak to the price. Be sure to get detailed instructions before you go into the panel and make sure the main breaker is off. Also, be sure to understand what that means.

But honestly, a receptacle is only three wires and adding a circuit only involves snapping them on and then running the wire in appropriate conduit, bx etc.

So if you don't have enough 20 amp outlets, it's something to look into.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 05-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 491 Times on 412 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Another possibility for low wattage HLT's (1500-2000w) is to put them on an a simple plug in appliance timer to turn on an hour or two before you start brewing, this way plenty of hot water is available cheaply and easily.

Even a puny 1100w bucket heater will heat a lot of water "in time".

Old 05-20-2012, 12:14 AM   #15
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Another possibility for low wattage HLT's is to put them on an a simple plug in appliance timer to turn on an hour or two before you start brewing, this way plenty of hot water is available cheaply and easily.

Even a puny 1100w bucket heater will heat a lot of water "in time".
True. If he goes 4000W, though, I don't think it's low wattage. I haven't timed my HLT performance lately, but I'm not waiting an hour or two to get strike water to 165 or so.

I'm going to do test to see how long it takes, but my feeling is that I get it started, crush some grain, get a few things ready and it's just about there.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 05-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #16
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 491 Times on 412 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9 View Post
True. If he goes 4000W, though, I don't think it's low wattage. I haven't timed my HLT performance lately, but I'm not waiting an hour or two to get strike water to 165 or so.

I'm going to do test to see how long it takes, but my feeling is that I get it started, crush some grain, get a few things ready and it's just about there.
Agreed, clarified my post above, "low wattage" being the 1500-2000w range. 4000w is not low wattage IMO, and is plenty for 5 gal batches, and also ample for ten gallon batches w/ reasonable wait times.

For just heating strike water and getting started, 4000w sometimes overheats my strike water unless I hussle getting my grainbill together.

Kinda like having a V8 or V6 or even a 4 cylinder car, they all go highway speed, some just get there a little quicker.

Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Old 07-07-2012, 05:51 AM   #17
BayerischBier
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickrjason View Post
So one person says it will take a while to "heat up" and another says it will boil...... Not exactly corroborating opinions.
I brew with two 1500w elements in my keggle.... Usually do 5.25gal batches (7gal breboil and easily boil out 1.50gal in 60min) and for the xmas-brew-sessions I do get 13.5gal to boil (not crazy but I get it to a valid boil).

I am thinking about a "HERMS in a box" cooler and run it with one 1500W on an Ranco ETC (for starters) - Again, I see a HERMS as 'keep the temperature in control' not as 'heat it up' system; still will do boiling water for step-mashing (until I win the lottery and buy AnheuserBusch and only brew IPAs, Rauchbiers , and RISs ).

Old 07-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #18
kickrjason
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I am only looking to get my strike water and sparge water heated in decent time. I have a cooler mlt and a Blichman burner for boiling. I want to stop using my burner and multiple vessels just to move hot water around. If I get a new boil kettle I can use my existing keggle for my HLT.

Tap#1 Summer Saison
Tap#2 Amarillo Pale Ale

Primary English Mild
Secondary -Vanilla Chai Mead

Kegged Haüs Hefeweisen #4, Speckled Heifer Cream Ale
Bottled - Cherry Oatmeal Stout, Burbon Vanilla Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Hefeweisen, Stubborn Baby Pale Ale,

Old 07-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #19
thargrav
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think your best solution is A RIMS tube with a 1650 Watt element and a small circulating pump.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #20
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickrjason View Post
I am only looking to get my strike water and sparge water heated in decent time. I have a cooler mlt and a Blichman burner for boiling. I want to stop using my burner and multiple vessels just to move hot water around. If I get a new boil kettle I can use my existing keggle for my HLT.
If your HLT is 15 gallon and you are mostly doing 5-6 gallon batches, then an eHLT with one 1500-2000 watt element on a dedicated 20amp service should fit the bill for what you are looking to do. With a cooler a recirculation system is not necessary for maintaining temps, and if you want to do a step mash, you can just heat your infusion water in your kettle, while your HLT is heating your sparge water. There are a lot of inexpensive stainless kettles out there, I think more beer has 10 and 15 gallon 304SS kettles with two ports for under 150, and spike brewing has even less expensive options.

Quick Reply