Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 110 set up

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
mxman06
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 110 set up

hello i am wanting to go electric but i live in military housing and don't have 220 is there a good way of doing this using 110. or should i just keep using gas.

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 02:38 AM   #2
NoCornOrRice
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 28

with 110, it will take forever to brew any volume of beer. If you have any of the following, you have 220v: dryer, stove, range, unless they are gas, in which case, you would be best to stick with your current methods

Old 05-30-2012, 03:13 AM   #3
hatrickwah
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

mxman06,
You are limited in your options, but all hope isn't lost.
Look into going with a hybrid setup, use a 110v element in a RIMS configuration, and then transfer the wort to a propane or gas cooker for the boil. As for boiling on 110v, NoCornOrRice is pretty accurate. You'll be lucky to get a 5 gallon batch rolling.

Keeping busy brewing & building.

Electric Brewing Supply

My e-Brewery | Keezer Build & Tap Tower Refurbish |Glycol System

Old 05-30-2012, 03:44 AM   #4
mxman06
Recipes 

thanks for the help i do have 220 dryer, i would just need to make a LONG extension cord witch is not completely unreasonably. i would like to brew in my basement as that is were my fermentation chamber is and moving 10 gal down stairs is not fun. how much dose a basic 220 set cost to make.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:52 AM   #5
hatrickwah
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Be careful with the LONG extension cord, especially with 220v. Depending on the amperage you run, and distance, you will need a pretty heavy cord.
The panel you should be able to do for around $1000 if you build it yourself and go PID. I built my BCS control panel setup for about $1200, since I already had the kettles done. I built a 50a setup, you may be able to do 30a for slightly less. Which would give you the power to run a 5500w element.

Keeping busy brewing & building.

Electric Brewing Supply

My e-Brewery | Keezer Build & Tap Tower Refurbish |Glycol System

Old 05-30-2012, 04:36 AM   #6
mxman06
Recipes 

cool that's a little out of my budget ( military doesn't pay that good lol) so i think i will stay with my current three burner set up. thanks for the help

Old 05-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
NoCornOrRice
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If you use a long extension cord, 10/4 SOOW is by far the best option for brewing 10gal batches powered by a dryer. Bought in bulk, it is usually about $2.50 per foot, including shipping and tax. It is very flexible, but heavy. Make sure you don't leave a coil of wire when drawing power, or it will turn into an inductor and bad things will happen (fire).

Another issue is ventilation: you will need a fume hood that has a motor and vents outside.

I was on a tight budget as well, but the though of brewing in winter outside was too unapealing. A really simple, economical option you may wish to consider is:
http://www.highgravitybrew.com/produ...r-158p3084.htm

If you were to make it DIY style, it would be cheaper too. Search for PWM controller on this forum

Old 05-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
Jarrat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I added two 20amp 110v breakers and added electrical outlets beside my panel and have a brew pot with two 1500 watt elements in it....no special controllers.....works amazing.. cost for everything was around $250... just another thought

Old 05-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I wouldn't say 110 brewing is out of the question at all. In fact many of us do just that to great effect. Check out SIMPLE and 2P-Twent-E in my sig and look for jcarp's countertop brutus. Those are all great systems that operate on a single 20amp 11vac outlet available in any kitchen that is up to code. My systems push out 4.25g finished volume into the fermenter and 4 gallons packaged volume per batch.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrat View Post
I added two 20amp 110v breakers and added electrical outlets beside my panel and have a brew pot with two 1500 watt elements in it....no special controllers.....works amazing.. cost for everything was around $250... just another thought
This is what I do. Two separate 110v circuits at 15-20A each. My BK has two 1500w elements, my HLT has one 1650w element (though it is a little underpowered). Boil is extremely vigorous after 20minutes from sparging (sooner if I heat first runnings while continuing to sparge.)

Check your circuits. Chances are there are some that power things you can unplug/not use while brewing, giving you dedicated power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS