Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 1" Half Coupler on Penrose Kettle, Welded backwards?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
hatfieldenator
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default 1" Half Coupler on Penrose Kettle, Welded backwards?

I received my penrose kettle today that I ordered custom to have a 1" half coupler on the side so I could use it as an electric boil kettle. Well, when I tried screwing in the element, the threads wouldn't even begin to screw in. I'm worried that they may have welded the coupler on backwards? Does anyone know if this is this possible? Can they only be welded on one direction? Or is it possibly the wrong size or something. Here's a pick of the end of the coupler to see what I'm talking about.

Its hard to see, but there is a smooth, even lip around the outer most part of the fitting. The threads don't appear to start until you get beyond that smooth surface.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 211 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 370

this doesn't make any sense.

threads are threads. get a tap and ream it out from the other side.

The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 04-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
this doesn't make any sense.
threads are threads. get a tap and ream it out from the other side.
Not necessarily in this case. The half coupler is most likely NPT, which is a tapered thread. You can't just ream it out from the other side.

Back to the OP: It's hard to tell from the picture. Can you try to thread the element on from the inside, just to confirm your suspicion?

We can't tell you if it's the right size. Does it look like the right size? Can you measure the inside diameter of the threads?

-Joe

Old 04-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 211 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 370

yeah, you're right. and it probably isn't threaded all the way thru.

but if it's a female to female coupling it should be able to accept 1" NPT on both sides.

The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 04-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
but if it's a female to female coupling it should be able to accept 1" NPT on both sides.
Not if it's a half-coupler as the OP said. Half-couplers are blind on one side. That's why it's so short in the picture.

-Joe

Old 04-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
hatfieldenator
Recipes 

That's what I was wondering, whether or not half-couplers are blind on one side. Thanks for clarifying that.

I've tried threading it in from the other side, but the way its welded there's a small slice of the kettle wall blocking it from getting to the threads. In otherwords, the hole in the kettle is off center with the coupler so you can't get anything into the threads past the kettle wall on the other side.
It does appear to be the right size, just like my HLT which has a half coupler on it too.
Darn it this sucks! I've been waiting for weeks for this kettle to arrive and I was hoping to brew on it this week since I'm off work
I've emailed Dale Penrose about it to see what they say.
Here's a pic of the inside to show what I'm talking about

Old 04-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
samc
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

When I was doing my first build I bought a few half couplers just in case I needed them, never used them because of the one way threads.

If you have a dremel and a grinding stone you could carefully grind down the inside of the kettle to clear room for the threaded fitting to go in from that side. Obviously if you are not careful you could damage the threads.

They should probably pay for you to take it to a local welder and have it taken off and redone.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #8
hatfieldenator
Recipes 

Yeah, I'm going to have to see what they say. I'm worried that trying to take it off and get it re-done will result in a very weak kettle wall. It already appears that the kettle wall is quite thin around these welds. But, I'm not a welder, so I don't know.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #9
shroomzofdoom
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It appears from the photo in the first post that those threads don't come all the way out. If you bought the unit from Penrose, I'd hope they'd QC fittings before welding them in. If not, this will be a costly blunder for them. Poor kettle...

My electric BCS-460 build (work in progress)

Coffin cooling lessons

Old 04-26-2011, 11:21 PM   #10
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I think that the easiest resolution would be for them to send you an 1" Tap, you could ream out the fitting and be done with it. Probably cheaper/easier than any other options I can think of...

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Quick Reply