Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 1" half coupler and heater element

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011, 03:37 AM   #1
milldoggy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default 1" half coupler and heater element

I just got in my 1" half couplers from mainlandvalve. I tested them on my elements(camco 5500 ulwd ones) and they thread like a NPT pipe. I was expecting them to thread all the way on to the gasket since the elements is not tapered threads(NPS I think). Since they stop like a standard npt, should I assume they will be leak free with some telfon tape? Going to give the couplers to the welder on monday to weld on. Should I order the NPS nuts from Bargin fittings? I need to order my camlocks anyways. I just want to get the welds done, they already did all the 1/2 stuff. I guess I could also order a 1" tap and redo the threads if I had to, but I think they are expensive.

My hop stopper

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 03:50 AM   #2
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Heating elements are straight threads with no taper. To purchase a 1" half coupler would be NPT (tapered). It would therefore not work and like trying to put a square lock through a round hole. You need the 1" straight thread nut from bargain fittings. Link below is the one you are mentioned for others to see as well.

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index...&product_id=95

Old 01-08-2011, 03:56 AM   #3
wh4tig0t
Recipes 

I have 1" NPS half couplers welded into my keg. It just takes some tightening, but the orings seal down. You might need to remove and reinstall the element a few times, but mine now seal well.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:59 AM   #4
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Are these half couplings NPS or NPT? If they are NPS fine but from the OP you alluded that they are NPT which will not work. Either way you should not be using teflon tape for a heater element as it means that you are using the wrong thread type.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:25 AM   #5
TheAleMaster
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I used a 2" coupling with a 2" x 1" bushing. Pretty sure it is all NPT and my element works fine.

I'm not sure what difference it makes if it does not leak.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
milldoggy
Recipes 

couplers are NPT, I searched and tons of people use them for elements. I was just concerned because one of the couplers does not screw on very far.

My hop stopper

Old 01-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You probably know this, but if the TV doesn't work, check if it's plugged in: did you try both sides of the coupler? Half-couplers will only thread in properly from one side.

-Joe

Old 01-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
milldoggy
Recipes 

So I took a wrench out, I was able to screw it on a lot further. I screwed in on and off a few times and it does seat nicely now. It comes close to the gasket. So once I install it in the 2 gang box, it will seal up.

thanks for the suggestion wh4tig0t

My hop stopper

Old 01-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by milldoggy View Post
couplers are NPT, I searched and tons of people use them for elements. I was just concerned because one of the couplers does not screw on very far.
Hmmm... Ok. I wouldn't think that would be a good idea but it if works so be it. I'll stick with the NPS fittings that bargain fittings sells and eliminate the ambiguity.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
Swagman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Been using 1 inch half couplers for elements for years no problems. I just cut a full coupler in half.

Just stop and think a minute a coupler has taper thread but they are inside the coupler not at the start. The thread at the start are about as straight as your going to get. The electric element is only going in two to two half threads.

You can screw up taping with a pipe tap and go to far and end up with no taper and all straight threads. Just take a look at a tap.

Here is a picture of half coupler tig welded to Tri half for removeable element

The half of the tri welds into the pot or keg. Just remove the clamp and the electric element and box comes off in one piece. No wiring to unhook. That last photo don't show the two taps the are welded to the element half tri that bolt to the box.

God bless
Swagman

Quick Reply