New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Why does a new SCOBY form every time?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
Canyx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Why does a new SCOBY form every time?

Hey all, new brewer here! I actually don't have any questions regarding the brewing process; things have been going smoothly so far but I'll be sure to search through the forum if any problems arise.

My question is more general... I've always wondered why a new SCOBY forms each time you brew, as opposed to just having the mother colony get bigger. Any insight?
Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 03:41 AM   #2
kyt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I don't know the complete big picture here, but part of the reason is to seal off the solution from invaders and environmental contamination. It's like a skin that is grown to protect the colony. If you are able to float the mother, the new layer may adhere to it.

• Bugeater's Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Ale - Planned
  • Imperial/Double Red Ale - Planned

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply