Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Why does kombucha make me feel sick?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 05:07 AM   #1
buchababe90
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Why does kombucha make me feel sick?

I was wondering if anyone else has gotten a headache/stomachache from drinking kombucha. I don't normally buy it, but bought a couple bottles because I want to make a SCOBY. I drank about half of one of the bottles (GT synergy) and felt gross. Does anyone else sometimes feel sick after drinking kombucha? I used to drink it more frequently a couple years ago and rarely had any side effects.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:16 AM   #2
WYOBrews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

My sister makes that nasty crap. I tried it once and it had the same effect on me. I didn't feel too hot! Isn't it supposed to "clean" you out? I'll just have another beer! Thank You Very Much!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 05:24 AM   #3
step
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 20

That's funny (well I guess not really for you), I always feel better after drinking KT. It seems to calm my stomach and I often feel a boost in energy (psychosomatic?)... great after a LONG night I guess, I feel like its not for everyone, however, the benefits seem pretty well documented.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
Vance71975
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It could possible be that your system needs to readjust to it, Often times our systems are so damaged from the S.A.D (Standard American Diet) that they respond poorly at first to things that are good for the body, i have heard this complaint from people who live on fast food/junk food when they have ate a salad, same principle the body gets used to processing what it normally gets, then it is a system shock when it gets something different.

If it is JUST a slight stomach ache or feeling "yuky" i would SLOWLY ease back into drinking Kombucha, say 4oz per day until you no longer get the stomach ache, Do remember our systems do not like rapid changes, but if you get ANY other symptoms such as a rash,difficulty breathing etc SEE A DOCTOR it could be an allergic reaction.

The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #5
buchababe90
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the responses. My diet is pretty crappy and I take prescription medication, so that could be part of it. I'm kind of scared of kombucha now though.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Kombucha and many other beneficial foods have a detoxifying effect on the body. So if you drink too much of it too quickly at first and your body can't dispose of the toxins quickly enough, you may feel poorly from it. Often people think they are allergic to it, but in actuality it is the stored toxins coming out of their bodies that is the issue. Supposedly the organic acids in KT can actually dissolve some of these toxins.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
HollyGayle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The idea is to drink lots of water to aid the Kombucha to cleanse the system. If your gastrointestional track is sluggish you need more water anyway. You don't want your body to attempt to dislodge and discharge impacted toxic waste products all at one time. Headaches, stomach, etc. problems. So, small quantities of Kombucha (teaspoon or two) followed by 8 to 12 ounces of fresh clean water. Increase the Kombucha intake gradually. It takes time to adjust your body to the effect of Kombucha.

Kombucha tastes great with a flavored tea, like blackberry, added to a second batch of Kombucha brew. Keep the original Kombucha mother in her own separate jar with tea and water.

HollyGayle

Old 10-12-2012, 05:34 AM   #8
Chana
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Try growing a SCOBY and using green tea. Black tea can be hard on a delicate stomach. Also, remember that Kombucha detoxifies the liver and balances the pH of the body (affecting the kidneys). It is important to drink 8oz of water per 1oz of kombucha to facilitate the detox as your body adjusts

Old 10-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

HbgBill....you nailed it on the head--start wirh small amount and increase slowly. One ounce a day for anyone new to kombucha, water/milk kwfir, etc., coyld react wirh a variety of symptoms. Many say it is similar to, if not, a Herxheimer reaction. I always recommend no more than one ounce daily for three days and can try doubling intake every 3 days; if at any time you have an issue go back to the previous low dose for a few days and then increase by just half until you can determine how you will tolerate. And most importantly, drink water, water, water.

HbgBill....you may want to consider flavoring with fruit/herbal teas AFTER your scoby is removed. I adore strawberry/black n green tea, or a peach blend, but if I use that tea during primary phase I sometimes get mold, so no more in primary. I brew one cup of it, cool and just add after I remove scoby, many times with a handful of related fruit. Just divine!!

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 03-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #10
sweetdragon
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Re: Candida ;(....ladies! Today, 11:05 PM
I drank a bottle of Kombucha tea from our local grocery store "Whole Foods" and the next day I had a horrible yeast infection (I am certain it was from the drink). I treated for yeast but it still wouldn't go away. I've been tested for everything, seen 5 different doctors, have had to pay $200 in pill, lotions/creams, not to mention the burning itching pain down there for 5 weeks or the scare as I've never had a yeast infection like this before! The infection is finally clearing up now but I would not recommend Kombucha to my worst enemy.. well maybe just to my worst enemy or the guy who got me to drink the Kombucha, only cause he still won't believe it's what made me sick. The bottles should have warning labels. I've found other forums where ladies are complaining of this symptom as well.

Quick Reply