Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Using Ginger

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
scobysurfer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Using Ginger

I know some people on here love to use ginger. In what form do you sprinkle ginger in? Grated right off the root? Powdered? Boiled down liquid?

I tried using grated ginger and didn't like it at all.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:16 AM   #2
orillian
Recipes 

I have been making ginger beer with kefir.

Now I like HOT ginger tastes in my beers so I tend to use quite a bit. I generally aim to have about 4 cups of ginger per gallon. I chop the ginger fairly fine, and add to my sugar water (Honey, molasses and coconut sugar/nectar) and boil for 15-20 minutes. Usually I leave the chopped ginger in the liquid when I add it to my starter. Note: for kefir I try to bring the temp of the boiled liquid down to about 85 degrees before adding it. kefir does not like getting over about 105 degrees. I am not sure what the kill temp for a scoby is, but I've always cooled my sugar tea down before adding my starter/scoby. I've yet to try ginger in my kombucha yet, though. I need to culture a new scoby sometime soon. Last one was contaminated while I was on holidays.

O.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2013, 02:58 AM   #3
scobysurfer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the reply, wow 4 cups has gotta be intense!

Old 09-26-2013, 02:17 AM   #4
racin_ny
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Ginger Tea

I grate a small amount and place it in a small pan of water bring to a boil cool and add to Kombucha when bottling

Old 09-26-2013, 02:23 AM   #5
Leithoa
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Skinned and match-stick chopped. I used 0.9 oz/gal in the last 10 min of the boil and then 'dry gingered' 0.25oz/gal 3 days before bottling. I was going for subtle spice and refreshing. I wasn't able to taste it until it had aged for ~9 weeks and at that time it was pretty close to what I was aiming for, aside from over-carb issues.

1°: Graham's English Cider, Cider; 2°: Mango Melomel; Conditioning: Banana wine, Cider, Orange/Clover blossom mead, Cyser, JAOM, In like a Lion RIS ; Drinking: In like a Lion RIS

Old 09-27-2013, 02:40 AM   #6
scobysurfer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leithoa View Post
I used 0.9 oz/gal in the last 10 min of the boil and then 'dry gingered' 0.25oz/gal 3 days before bottling.
I don't understand, you add boiled down ginger at ferment and then dry ginger 3 days prior to bottling?

Old 09-27-2013, 03:45 AM   #7
Leithoa
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Nope. I used 0.9 ounces of fresh chopped ginger root and threw that into the boil and strained it out with all the trub. Then I added 0.25 ounces of fresh chopped ginger root 3 days prior to bottling.

1°: Graham's English Cider, Cider; 2°: Mango Melomel; Conditioning: Banana wine, Cider, Orange/Clover blossom mead, Cyser, JAOM, In like a Lion RIS ; Drinking: In like a Lion RIS

Old 10-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
sweepbjames
Recipes 

After adding fresh sliced ginger to the boil of one of my brew pots for an extended time/ batches, I came to the conclusion that there are antibacterial properties to ginger that are detrimental to strong scoby growth. I've since taken to grating ginger and squeezing just the juice into the Kt just prior to bottling. It does energize the yeasts so go lightly if lots of sugar remains so as to not lose too much through over-carbonation. Also the ginger starts to develop a breakdown taste left un-refrigerated as is my practice after 3-4 weeks. Not terrible.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:49 AM   #9
kyt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 57

The above is correct. Do NOT put ginger in your primary.

People Like This 
Old 11-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #10
legbuh
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What I'm trying here (being a former water kefir junkie) is do my first ferment. Then I bottle it but I put the ginger in with a little liquid in my magic bullet and make a ginger paste out of it... Then I dump that back in my bottles for the 2nd ferment.

But, what I thought of the other day was this... I eat ginger candies from the local store. They're called "Gin Gins". They're very good and quite spicy (ginger wise). On my next batch I'm going to put one of these in each bottle to see if it dissolves. The ingredients are ginger and cane sugar... so the sugar is there for the bugs to eat, and the ginger flavor is too! Could be a super easy way to add good ginger flavor.

Quick Reply