Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Used half and half green/ginger tea. Unsafe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2014, 01:32 AM   #1
MedicalAuthor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Used half and half green/ginger tea. Unsafe?

Hi all,

I'm new to brewing. My first batch from the starter kit was ready this past weekend and it was good! I split the SCOBY in half and branched off to another batch, which I experimented a little and used a different kind of tea. Specifically, I used Traditional Medicinals organic Green Tea Ginger. The ingredients are 750mg organic green tea leaf and 750mg organic ginger root per tea bag.

My main concern is: is it safe? My original brewing jar I used straight green tea, so I don't mind having to throw out the whole daughter brew. If the green tea ginger brew is a bust, would it be possible to rescue the SCOBY from it or should I just chuck the whole thing?

And if it should be able to ferment, are there extra precautions I should take? Again, mainly worried about safeness.

I appreciate any guidance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply