Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Used flavored kombucha in first fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
KathieB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Used flavored kombucha in first fermentation

My very first batch of kombucha is about done with its first fermentation. The person who gave me my SCOBYs didn't have enough kombucha to give me for my first batch. I had to buy a bottle of kombucha and got strawberry because they didn't have any plain. Now I'm scared I've ruined it. I heard that strawberry rots easily if using it in the second fermentation. How will I know if it's bad?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
kingogames
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 109

You'll know it will be bad because it will taste bad, but it's almost impossible to get anything in there that will hurt you because it's such an acidic environment. The only thing I would be worried about is that the fermentation created a funky flavor out of the added strawberry, but as long as it tastes OK and you like it, you should be OK. You'll never have a situation where something tastes awesome but it is poison (unless its done intentionally... :-) )

Old 06-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #3
KathieB
Recipes 

Thank you! I really don't want to fail at my first batch. I'm planning on using fruit purees to flavor it during its second fermentation (which is where I heard about the strawberry rotting easily). Maybe the flavorings will help if it tastes a little funky.

Quick Reply