Thick brown finger like strands?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libbyloo

Reaction score
This is my first time brewing kombucha... and my mother culture is vertical in my jar.. and parallel are these 2 long, thick brown/clear strands that connect to the newly formed baby culture on top. I understand that brown yeast strands are normal, but these are very thick and almost look like another culture? Is this normal? My tea has been fermenting for a week.

Thanks!

This is my first time brewing kombucha... and my mother culture is vertical in my jar.. and parallel are these 2 long, thick brown/clear strands that connect to the newly formed baby culture on top. I understand that brown yeast strands are normal, but these are very thick and almost look like another culture? Is this normal? My tea has been fermenting for a week.

Thanks!

Sounds normal from what i have read.

Yeah my tea has brown strands too. I watched a youtube video where a newly formed SCOBY was growing out of its container, but it was still attached to the mother by thick brown strands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back