Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > So you're NOT supposed to use an airlock for the primary ferment, is that right?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
jsweet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Default So you're NOT supposed to use an airlock for the primary ferment, is that right?

I've done a fair bit of beer brewing in the past, and a friend just asked about brewing kombucha. I'm off alcohol at the moment, so I was thinking this would be a cool way to use some of my equipment, so I'm starting to read up on it.

So, I'm gathering from what I am reading that for the primary fermentation, you need to have air circulation, and that's why people use a cloth on the top instead of an airlock? Is that a correct understanding, i.e. I should not use an airlock for the primary?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

edit: nevermind

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
Greenbasterd
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

no you leave kombucha open to the air i just use an old 5litre pickle jar fill it about 3/4 full and then place a paper towel over it and secure it with an elastic band,

Old 06-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
CHERYLinND
Recipes 

A paper towel allows air flow, while keeping dust out. I have found that the more the air is limited, the less my SCOBY thrives. I use SCOBYs to make organic leather (just starting) and I use a large container, completely open, and get the best SCOBYs from that. For the ones I drink, I use a single layer of cheesecloth over the top to keep out insects.

I haven't had any mold problems yet.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
Sdaji
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The yeast is facultatively anaerobic, so it can live with or without oxygen. The bacteria is aerobic, so it can't live (or at least, can't function, multiply, etc.) without oxygen. If you try to use an airlock you'll probably end up with tea wine. I've considered trying it!

Peak oil, peak ocean, peak soil, peak water... we're all going to die. Party while you can :)

Old 08-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 513

I use old t-shirts that I wash then iron, then use a rubberband to secure them atop my brewers. That has been working well. You could probably get away with a more coarse weave if you don't have many fruit flies around. I think if the fruit flies get into it you may end up with vinegar eels in the brew, which can still be consumed. And actually I am wondering it if it wouldn't actually improve it nutritionally.

Quick Reply