Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Small wrinkled patch on kokmbucha mother?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
brewinginct
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Small wrinkled patch on kokmbucha mother?

Well I've grown my scoby to the point where I'm ready to grow a 1 gallon batch of kombucha.

Problem is, there's this weird wrinkled patch on the surface of the scoby. It's the same color as the scoby itself, and it isn't fuzzy so I'm pretty sure it's not mold. The rest of the scoby looks fine it's just this one patch.

It's maybe about the size of a thumbprint, and looks like it has the texture of wrinkled skin?

Anyways here are some pics, I'd really like to make my one gallon batch today but I also don't want to get sick from sketchy kombucha. Let me know what you think!

edit: Looks like the pictures aren't showing up in the thread for some reason, here's an alternatve link http://imgur.com/a/Eozqh

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
android
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

back when i was making kombucha, there was always weird things like that on the mother, i wouldn't sweat it.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 01-13-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

It's just a little dried out patch, shouldn't affect anything. When the CO2 from the fermentation rises it will sometimes push a little section of the scoby out of the liquid and it will dry out being exposed to the air. Happens to mine all the time (sometimes it's like half the scoby if you get enough gasses coming up). Nothing to worry about at all!

Quick Reply