I was brewing kombucha for a while and decided to take a break. I left my jars in closet with multiple scobies and a small amount of sugar tea liquid for them to feed off of. It was not enough.... they ate all the liquid and then proceeded to rot... THey both look like they got mold, white bubbling, and some small nats got in to them even. It was very careless of me to let them go like this, but to top it off I even let them stay like that for over a month after I found out.
I would smell them from time to time, kinda just smelled like kombucha but slightly funky as well.
My question is, were my rotten scobies giving off toxic gasses that I was inhaling during this time? Could this have been harmful?
I just moved the jars outside, I dont know why I waited so long. Apathy no more.