Hello everyone! I'm new to brewing Kombucha, and to the forums. As such, I decided it would be best to combine my introduction and questions into one post. So, here are the queries!
1. I've brewed twice now, and every time I add new cultures to my hotel a baby begins to form on top. It doesn't end there though, sometimes a baby will form on my bottled tea as well. Is this normal?
2. I have some baby scobys from my last batch that didn't fully grow before the brew was ready. Is it okay to put them in the hotel to continue growing? Do they NEED to be on top of the brew to continue growth?
3. How does one know when a "baby" has become an "adult"?
4. I stored my most recent batch in Mason jars, but after only an hour all of them had a metallic taste. What are the best jars to store Kombucha in? Any brand names I could look up?
5. How many times can I re-use a scoby?
I'm looking forward to those answers, so don't be stingy!