Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Plastic spigot for K Tea container

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2011, 05:32 AM   #1
Akosei
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Plastic spigot for K Tea container

I know you're not supposed to let plastic contact your KT so I'm concerned about doing continuous brewing in my cool ceramic container that has a plastic spigot. Any ideas on the importance of replacing the spigot and links to places where I might find a non-plastic spigot?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
Bradinator
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Sorry not to highjack your thread, but why are you not supposed to let plastic touch the Kombucha?

Old 04-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
Akosei
Recipes 

I read the KT is very acidic and the plastic can leach into the brew...especially plastic that's in constant contact with your brew. I don't know how bad this leaching could be, will it be obvious and cause the spigot to leak or is it something you don't have to worry about? I've never brewed before so I'm trying to cover my bases before jumping into the process.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
Bradinator
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 12

That is very good to know. I was considering brewing this in a large plastic bucket to save some money on containers.

Thanks

Old 04-15-2011, 01:49 AM   #5
Akosei
Recipes 

Just to make things more confusing, I've seen photos of people brewing KT in those big plastic dispensers like they have at church functions. I was hoping that some KT brewers could shed some light on the plastic use. In the meantime, I guess I'll use my ceramic container and watch how the plastic part reacts...

Old 04-21-2011, 02:13 AM   #6
chask31
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am also interested in this.

Tap #1: Cucumber Honey Wheat Ale
Tap #2: Rye Ale
Primary #1: empty
Primary #2: empty
On Deck: Wit

Old 04-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
Rossnaree
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I know the whole "Plastic is bad" argument, but the primary contaminant supposedly released is the benzyne that's use in the process of making the plastic, and THAT benzyne is almost entirely "leached" out with whatever the liquid the container first holds. I'd recommend using the plastic parts to hold (or in the case of just the spigot, to soak it) vinegar, since the acidity and chemical makeup are similar, for a few days and then rinsing well before using for your kombucha vessel.

On a side note, I've often wondered if the case can be made that it's not necessarily the leaching of compounds that can affect the organisms, but possibly that the plastic, and shapes MAYBE, that have the same effect on single-celled organisms as IUD's have on - well it's a family-friendly site so I won't go there.... but seriously, it makes no sense that an IUD should work, but it does; maybe something along the same lines going on with this plastic issue? JUST PUTTING IT OUT THERE, so don't anyone go getting on my case that this is what I believe. Just wondering...

- Tim

Some knowledge will never be shared, not from a desire to conceal it, but because it is so common to the individual that it is assumed to be already known.

Primary: Chardonel
Secondary: Apfelwein, Chambourcin, Blackstone Pond American Ale, King of the North, Concord, 2nd wine from pulp of both
Bottled: Bavarian Hefeweizen, Dortmunder, King of the North (2010), Apfelwein (2010), Lesser Wilderness Mead (2010), King of the North (2nd wine - 2010)

Old 05-15-2011, 02:12 AM   #8
chazzman
Recipes 

If youc check out this link (very interesting reading), these people seem to use
plastic spigots and think nothing about it. Here is the link. Lots of other kombucha
here too!

http://www.westonaprice.org/food-fea...-kombucha.html

Quick Reply

Newest Threads