Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > New to Kombucha. Alternate method??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
Jwpj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New to Kombucha. Alternate method??

Hello all,

A friend of mine brews Kombucha all the time and is very experienced with it. Recently, I tried it for the first time and loved it. Well the container that my friend had brought to work had a little Kombucha left in it (maybe 1/4 cup) and he told me that if I brewed some black tea, added about 9 tsp of sugar, dumped in the remaining 1/4 cup of old Kombucha, and covered it up, I would get my own.

So I tried it last night. I couldn't believe it when I woke up this morning and saw cultures starting to form at the bottom of the pitcher and some starting to float to the top. My question is, will this method of making Kombucha work alright? I used no Scoby, nor did anyone donate their "mother" to me. I simply used about 1/4 cup of an existing Kombucha.

Sorry if it's a dumb Q, I just don't want anyone in the fam to get sick.

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
onipar
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

It does work!

You're essentially growing your own baby SCOBY. I just did this same thing with a bottle of Kombucha from the store. It takes a little time (2 weeks or so) for a good sized scoby to form. Once it does, you can go ahead and brew up a full gallon batch, and toss in your newly formed scoby along with a cup or two of the starter liquid.

While brewing this new batch, another scoby will grow. In fact, every time you brew a batch, a new scoby will grow

Old 07-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
Jwpj
Recipes 

Hmm... two weeks huh?

That is weird. My friend told me that it should only take a couple of days. Maybe he was mistaken and has never brewed a batch this way.

Also, when will I know it's ready to drink?

Everything I've read online says that i'll have to lift the SCOBY out of the Kombucha, put on a plate with some of the tea, and use for my next batch. I understand that.

But my friend says that the SCOBY is too soft to lift out, and when he removes it, he has to almost scoop it out with a spoon. Maybe he's doing it wrong?? I did taste his though, and it did have a cidery/vinegar sort of taste.

Any thoughts?

Old 07-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
onipar
Recipes 

The two weeks is a general guideline. It takes everyone different amounts of time depending on the temperature and other factors.

The scoby should eventually be thick and strong enough that you can just take it out with your hand (make sure to clean your hand with starsan or vinegar and not antibacterial soap.

I'm still trying to figure out how to know when it's ready. I think most people either just do a taste test (dip a straw in, then put your finger over the opening of the straw and lift out to get a sample), or a ph test (once it reaches "3" it's done). Generally, once you have a formed scoby, I think they say it should take about 7 days, but again, that can vary.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:55 AM   #5
kombuchakamp
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Growing a SCOBY these days is a bit different...

Hey all - it used to be a great idea to grow a SCOBY from a bottle of Kombucha - since they reformulated it though, the SCOBY you grow is not the same. Here's more info if you're interested: MOD EDIT

Reason: advertising

Old 07-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
kombuchakamp
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default SCOBY falling apart is bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwpj View Post

But my friend says that the SCOBY is too soft to lift out, and when he removes it, he has to almost scoop it out with a spoon. Maybe he's doing it wrong?? I did taste his though, and it did have a cidery/vinegar sort of taste.

Any thoughts?
If your SCOBY is not holding together, it is not a healthy specimen. The SCOBY is the home for your bacteria and yeast and it should be somewhat tough.

What your friend is making may be a version of Kombucha but it doesn't sound like full strength.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
onipar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombuchakamp View Post
Hey all - it used to be a great idea to grow a SCOBY from a bottle of Kombucha - since they reformulated it though, the SCOBY you grow is not the same. Here's more info if you're interested: MOD EDIT

Thanks for posting. First, I do want to mention I thoroughly enjoy the Kombucha Kamp website and the great information you provide there. However, I'm not so sure About this whole "post-reformulation" thing.

Yes, I'm one of the people you mentioned in the article that would come up to say they've successfully grown a SCOBY. It was the easiest thing in the world, and took very little time. I had a fully formed SCOBY in 2 weeks, and my 1 gallon batch finished fermenting in a mere 5 days!

Now, there is the other part of your argument:

"...those who are new to brewing won’t really know if they have a full powered culture at the end of the process."

I won't deny this, but similarly, I'm not sure you can really prove it (as you say in your article). Forgive me, but a few people saying "it doesn't seem as powerful or strong as pre-reformulation kombucha" isn't enough to convince me.

It sounds a reasonable enough assumption, but really, that's all it is: an assumption. And frankly, if it's a choice between a fully formed SCOBY for $25, or a bottle of Kombucha that I can grow a culture from for $4, I have to take the chance on growing my own SCOBY.

I happily concede that simply because I was able to grow one easily does not mean everyone will experience the same results. And I'm certainly interested in more complete findings of the difference between pre-formulation SCOBYs and post. But for now, I'll stick with this, since it seems to work.

Thank you for posting the article. I'm very curious to read more about this and find out the actual differences. I may very well need to buy a formed culture.

My Official Website

Horror and Homebrew: YouTube Channel

My Books:
Soundtrack to the End of the World
Welcome to Moon Hill

Old 07-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
timewasted
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I grew my first scoby from a half bottle of commercial kombucha from Whole Foods. It took about 2-3 weeks. Now I can practically reproduce a full sized scoby with every batch, in about 7 days. A lot of it depends on the size of the starting culture. Just give it time to work.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
kombuchakamp
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Everyone who tries has the same reaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by onipar View Post
Thanks for posting. First, I do want to mention I thoroughly enjoy the Kombucha Kamp website and the great information you provide there. However, I'm not so sure About this whole "post-reformulation" thing.

Thank you for posting the article. I'm very curious to read more about this and find out the actual differences. I may very well need to buy a formed culture.
If you were to have a real SCOBY and brew against your reformulated SCOBY, you would see the difference. Here's another blogger that wanted to believe her grown one would be fine - until she got a real SCOBY:

"Here are the differences I noticed using the Kombucha Kamp SCOBY:

- Much less of those unappetizing yeast strands in the finished tea.
- Significantly more carbonation – the new SCOBY that formed at the top of the jar had lots of air bubbles, and the tea was fizzy instead of flat.
- Shorter brewing time by 2-3 days, which I would assume is because the SCOBY has had more than a month to grow.
- Stronger taste. It’s difficult to put it into words, but there’s a noticeable taste difference (for the better).

I was kind of secretly hoping that my homemade SCOBY would put the purchased one to shame, but I took one sip and had to wave the white flag. Hannah’s on to something with her kombucha."

MOD EDIT

If we were to do some kind of testing, that would cost $1,000's of dollars, which I don't have, how about you? I prefer the testing of real people, and just like baking a cake, if you have inferior ingredients you will have inferior final product.

Still, I understand the "good, better, best" idea and I know people are cheap - but when it comes to making a tonic for your health, it seems silly to mess around with cheap options. Just my .02 cents.

Reason: advertising

Old 07-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
onipar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombuchakamp View Post
If you were to have a real SCOBY and brew against your reformulated SCOBY, you would see the difference.

Still, I understand the "good, better, best" idea and I know people are cheap - but when it comes to making a tonic for your health, it seems silly to mess around with cheap options. Just my .02 cents.
Yeah, like I said, I'm not saying I don't believe you (or the people who have noted differences), but I'm one of those "show me the facts" sort of people, for better or worse.

It reminds me of the all grain versus extract debate that pops up in beer brewing circles. The idea of course is that because you're using grain to extract your own sugars (rather than using pre-made malt extract), it will make a "better" beer. This is not entirely true and has a lot of factors.

I'll probably end up buying a SCOBY just to see the differences for myself at some point. Maybe after a few more batches with my homegrown. If there's a huge difference, I'll be the first to say you're right. :-)

But again, I didn't mean to question your assertions; I'm just naturally inquisitive.

My Official Website

Horror and Homebrew: YouTube Channel

My Books:
Soundtrack to the End of the World
Welcome to Moon Hill

Quick Reply