Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > New Continuous Brewer no Plastic or Metal

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
hombrewthatstuff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default New Continuous Brewer no Plastic or Metal

Check out my new 2 gallonp1050706.jpg

p1050707.jpg continuous brewer...
after reading about the continuous style I wanted to try it but didnt like the idea of a plastic spigot in contact with my brew and didnt want to go for the oak barrel, so after searching for some time I came up with this (parts from two websites) for about $30

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 04:00 AM   #2
kingogames
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 109

That's awesome! Great work! Are you using rubber seals between the wood and glass?

Old 03-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
hombrewthatstuff
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks! No rubber seal just using the cork alone. It is water tight.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
chazzman
Recipes 

Very nice!! Uh, two web sites? Please share if you can.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
chazzman
Recipes 

About plastic, they are not all alike. You should be safe with HDPE Plastic (recycle symbol with no 2 in the center) because jugs made of
it are used to sell vinegar. Also PET plastic (no 1 inside the symbol). Use to sell vinegar (the clear litre sized bottles) and I think some
distilled spriits as well.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:59 AM   #6
hombrewthatstuff
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, good point about the vinegar bottles. That crossed my mind as well.
But all those plastic spigots use a rubber gasket that is on the inside of the container which may be food grade as well and be safe for water but is that made to withstand an acidic liquid I wonder?
The #2 spigots probably are fine, but the spigot that came with my $20 glass water barrel dispenser was a real cheap plastic with a fake metal paint on it so I for sure wanted to change it out.
Im kind of a hipocrite anyways since I then bottle my booch in mason jars and ive been told that might not be a great idea with the metal lid (but the lid is coated and my brew isnt in contact with it).....ah screw it there are much worse things for you in this world. You gotta draw the line somewhere you know (maybe ill switch to grolsch bottles eventually)

But hey, i think it turned out pretty sweet and I did it for like $30:
Here are the websites I used:
Glass water dispenser $20 from Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Home-Essentials-Barrel-Beverage-Dispenser/21686116

Spigot: $5 +$5 shipping
http://search.store.yahoo.net/yhst-13391808682274/cgi-bin/nsearch?query=small+spigot&vwcatalog=yhst-13391808682274&.autodone=http%3A%2F%2Fstore.yahoo. com%2Fyhst-13391808682274&x=0&y=0

Let me know if you guys find a cheap place to get some flip top grolsch style bottles
-Alex

p1050709.jpg  
Old 03-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #7
cooldood
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I work in the food manufacturing business and we NEVER use would for anything. Don't get me wrong I like your setup. It is very creative. I wonder why you think wood is better than plastic.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:49 AM   #8
hombrewthatstuff
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I guess when ive been reading up on this ive read possible concerns with using plastic but none on using wood. I knew things like whiskey and wine are aged indefinitely in wood barrels and they use a wood spigot and/or a cork bung. Im sure wood would not be an appropriate material in some applications too though.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:01 AM   #9
chazzman
Recipes 

Some plastics are very bad, sometimes more for the bad flavor effects than
the toxicity. The acid content should sanitize the wood fine. Sauerkraut,
I think, is sometimes stored in wood barrels. Vinegar, alcohol and fermented
foods are not conventional foods and can kill any microscopic bugs lurking
in wood. Fresh food should never be stored in wood.

Also, there do exist spigots made of HDPE but I don't know if they have
rubber gaskets.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #10
ScobiWan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hombrewthatstuff View Post
Yeah, good point about the vinegar bottles. That crossed my mind as well.
But all those plastic spigots use a rubber gasket that is on the inside of the container which may be food grade as well and be safe for water but is that made to withstand an acidic liquid I wonder?
The #2 spigots probably are fine, but the spigot that came with my $20 glass water barrel dispenser was a real cheap plastic with a fake metal paint on it so I for sure wanted to change it out.
Im kind of a hipocrite anyways since I then bottle my booch in mason jars and ive been told that might not be a great idea with the metal lid (but the lid is coated and my brew isnt in contact with it).....ah screw it there are much worse things for you in this world. You gotta draw the line somewhere you know (maybe ill switch to grolsch bottles eventually)

But hey, i think it turned out pretty sweet and I did it for like $30:
Here are the websites I used:
Glass water dispenser $20 from Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Home-Essentials-Barrel-Beverage-Dispenser/21686116

Spigot: $5 +$5 shipping
http://search.store.yahoo.net/yhst-13391808682274/cgi-bin/nsearch?query=small+spigot&vwcatalog=yhst-13391808682274&.autodone=http%3A%2F%2Fstore.yahoo. com%2Fyhst-13391808682274&x=0&y=0

Let me know if you guys find a cheap place to get some flip top grolsch style bottles
-Alex
I joined just to say thanks for the link you posted to the cork spigot , I've been looking for that exact piece for my glass barrel that I picked up at World Market and did not want to use the plastic spigot that came with it.

If you haven't found flip top bottles yet Amazon has them for a pretty good price for $18.99/12pk
http://www.amazon.com/CASE-OF-12-Bottles-AMBER/dp/B005CIFIDO/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1363045149&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=groslch+flip+top+bottles

Quick Reply