My kombucha smells strange. is is dead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

belen

Reaction score
I know kombucha doesn't exactly smell pretty, but this time it smells like rotten plastic it simply doesn't smell like it should, it doesn't even make more at the top of the container, its like it simply gets fragmented and without any color. is my kombucha dead? Ill? What should i do?

Will you post a picture? It's easier to diagnose knowing all the factors, not just smell.

I know kombucha doesn't exactly smell pretty, but this time it smells like rotten plastic it simply doesn't smell like it should, it doesn't even make more at the top of the container, its like it simply gets fragmented and without any color. is my kombucha dead? Ill? What should i do?

What type of container are you brewing it in? What are you using to cover it with? How long have you been fermenting it and at what temperature? As said above, there are too many factors to determine if it is bad based on the smell alone. Best of luck with your batch.

Summer temps tend to screw up kombucha. The yeast dominates, and who knows what other microbes. Kombucha should be fermented in the 70's. Once the acetobacter loses ground, you may not have the acids necessary to suppress undesirable microbes. I move mine out to the pump house for the summer where the temps are lower.

As far as containers....... I've fermented in glass and in plastic with absolutely no difference. Suggesting that it may be the container is barking up the wrong tree most likely.

Consider using a continuous brew to keep your brew strong and healthy. I pull 25% about every 3 days, and add sweet tea to replace it, pouring it right over the scoby. I've been doing this for a year and a half and have brewed several hundred gallons this way.

H.W.

8 gallons of booch fermenting merrily away in a continuous fermenter
Citra Red IPA
Low Gravity Cascade Pale Ale
Mosaic Rye Wit (2%)
Kiwi Pils
Chocolate Stout
American Sour Ale

on tap:
Motueka Rye Wit (2%abv)
Calypso Pale Ale
Cascade Dark Ale
Ginger Kombucha
Ginger dark malted kombucha (beer yeast enhanced)

Back