Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Is my kombucha ok to drink?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
quamquam91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is my kombucha ok to drink?

Hi all,

I'm new to kombucha brewing and new to this forum. Hopefully this is the right place to ask my question!

I've been brewing my first batch of kombucha for about three weeks. I started with a mother SCOBY, broke it into four smaller pieces, and put each one in a quart jar of sweetened black tea.

Smaller colonies have sprouted in each jar. I think the tea is ready to drink! Before drinking any of the tea, I wanted to take a picture of the colonies and show you all, to make sure there's no mold or anything else that would make the tea not ok to drink.

Here are all the colonies in a bowl for you to see:

Here is a colony that I'm holding up for a closer look. The brown strands are just yeast, right?

And here is a pearly white colony:

What do you think--safe to drink?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2013, 01:53 AM   #2
scobysurfer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

It would of been better if you took the photos before taking them out of the container, since now if there was any mold it would be sloshed around in there...

Old 05-30-2013, 02:19 AM   #3
kingogames
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 109

looks fine to me.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
kingogames
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 109

It is very unlikely that mold will grow in kombucha because it is very acidic, which is a hostile enviroment for mold and other harmful bacteria. If you're super worried aabout it, put a tablespoon of vinegar in to boost the acidity a little more. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you're reasonably careful, it should be fine.

Quick Reply