Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Mother from GT's Ginger Kombucha

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #31
tannnick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That I believe is correct, the aceto. Ok, so more sugar means more sour, takes longer? I ferment everything at about 72-74F.

How long does normal bottling take to carb? Overnight the tops on jars are very tight!

Cherry Street Brewing Cooperative
www.facebook.com/TannersVickery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #32
mutedog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

if you let it open ferment longer then it will be more sour, if you put an airlock on it then it will be more alcohol, or if you stop it sooner then it will be sweeter. I recommend tasting it as it goes and stop or alter the ferment where you like the flavor.

I bottle my kombucha in 750ml swing top bottles I let them carb for about 3 or so days and then put them in the fridge to slow/stop fermentation.

Maker of weird beers

Old 03-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #33
JScott613
Recipes 

I added 5.5 cups sugar to a single gallon my first batch. Everything turned out fine, after about 1 month it was fairly vinegary, I bottled it in 16oz bottles and within a few days I had very good carbonation. I don't think the amount of sugar affects the carbonation. I let mine sit out and carbonate for 7 days.

2 days ago I pureed a pound of strawberries (very much into a sort of sorbet consistency) and bottled them. I pureed them because last time I bottled I used peaches and cut them into small pieces, it was time consuming and many people do not like the chunks, chunks also interfere with enjoying the carbonation, if you opt not to consume the chunks.

You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. - Friedrich Nietzsche.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:08 AM   #34
JScott613
Recipes 

I drank another one of my 5.5 cups sugar brew, do we call kombucha "brew"?, anyway...it was pretty sweet actually. After a month, even. I taste only a bit of tart, if that makes sense, very sweet but some tartness. Am I being redundant?

Tannnick>>> I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a difficult time opening my bottles...I thought I was doing something wrong...I have to use channel-locks to open my lids...today I couldn't find them, luckily I was able to summon up my muscle-man powers!

You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. - Friedrich Nietzsche.

Last edited by JScott613; 03-24-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #35
mutedog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You can call kombucha brew since you brewed the tea.

Maker of weird beers

Quick Reply