Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Mother from GT's Ginger Kombucha

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #21
mutedog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've been reusing 750ml flip top bottles for all of my kombucha (maybe another reason why I've not had any bottle bombs) I buy sparkling french lemonade from World Market in these bottles and reuse them.

So far I've only brewed my Kombucha with green tea. It might be worth a try to do some herbal teas with some of your extra SCOBYs once you're a few batches in.

Maker of weird beers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #22
JScott613
Recipes 

Ok, today I opened one of my bottles and do have light carbonation after 3 days. I tasted it and it tastes sweet but very alcoholic. Not sure I will enjoy drinking these.

So much for my signature quote, lol.

You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. - Friedrich Nietzsche.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:26 AM   #23
trigger
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScott613
Ok, today I opened one of my bottles and do have light carbonation after 3 days. I tasted it and it tastes sweet but very alcoholic. Not sure I will enjoy drinking these.

So much for my signature quote, lol.
You probably are out of balance ong some of the bacterial components in your culture. With your nextbatch let it go more to get a better balance. Eventually the scoby will hit the right balance.

The power to tax, once conceded, has no limits; it contains until it destroys. I was not joking when I told them to dig into their own pouches. It may not be possible to do away with government — sometimes I think that government is an inescapable disease of human beings. But it may be possible to keep it small and starved and inoffensive — and can you think of a better way than by requiring the governors themselves to pay the costs of their antisocial hobby?

R. A. Heinlein

Old 03-06-2011, 02:41 AM   #24
JScott613
Recipes 

No doubt you're right. I started with 5 cups of sugar for 1 gallon. When things looked as though they were not progressing I added more of this and that, here and there.

This next batch I used the remaining tea from the starter and added 1 gallon with 1 cup of sugar. Now I suppose I will wait a month before screwing with it.

You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. - Friedrich Nietzsche.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #25
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

JScott613's comment about AVOID OILS for KT brewing is correct. There are SO SO many varieties of teas. When I first started KT brewing and wanted to branch out to different varieties I asked for help from a few of the sites that sell Kombucha mothers. I came across Nick's Natural Nook (I always find them on eBay & I saw them on etsy) & if you message them they will let you know what teas they carry are appropriate for KT. They even have variety packs that you can custom build, so you can have a minimal investment, try the tea with your scoby & then know whether that one works for the taste you are seeking or enjoy. Their teas are organic & my first variety pack included: almond blossom oolong, honeybush, assam, and green chai. They have over 25 varieties, though I don't know how many are appropriate for KT. I enjoy all 4 that I purchased & I like to use assam as a base and blend with any of the other three, or as a stand alone I think I like the almond blossom oolong the best....but that is just me.
In regard to carbonation, IMHO, (I use mason jars), I will do my primary ferment in a loosely capped jar until desired level of sweetness, if I want a secondary ferment I will then proceed with that but typically no more than 3 days with the lid tightly capped, the jar wrapped in a towel & I "burb" the jar on a daily basis. I check for appropriate level of sweetness before I bottle & if I have to I will back-sweeten and then bottle in a grolsch style container and refrigerate. When I pour a glass on ice, I get loads of fizz. I am very, very cautious when I ferment with a tightly capped lid, and even take one extra level of security and place my brew container in a cardboard box or styrofoam cooler--just depends on how many different KT's I have going. I watch for great prices on french lemonade or other items packaged in flip-tops and will use them for my KT, kefir water, ginger beer, fruit cordials(non-alcoholic & alcoholic) and wine(that will be consumed shortly rather than left to age). If I need the flip-tops in bulk I purchase from my LHBS or check prices at online container sites. I do have to say that all this home brewing/fermentation is quite addictive & it seems like the only thing I honestly don't make at home is beer(though that is on my list). I do different yogurts(CSY, greek), sourdough and am getting ready to start vinegar! Cross-contamination of cultures is my biggest fear and I always make sure to use well ventilated spaces and keep any different cultures being used at least 8 feet apart----in the past year I have not yet killed my cultures. Anyway, I do enjoy the forum!

Motto: quel che sara sara

Last edited by saramc; 03-06-2011 at 09:00 PM.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #26
BoundForBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScott613 View Post
No doubt you're right. I started with 5 cups of sugar for 1 gallon. When things looked as though they were not progressing I added more of this and that, here and there.

This next batch I used the remaining tea from the starter and added 1 gallon with 1 cup of sugar. Now I suppose I will wait a month before screwing with it.
WOW 5 cups of sugar is alot. It is at least alot then how I brew it. I use about 1 1/2 cups of sugar and let it set for about 10 days. bottle it in PET bottles and let those sit out and carb for 4 days (with fruit in the bottom). then throw in the fridge and enjoy one for lunch everyday.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:23 AM   #27
tannnick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Alright, I haven't posted in a little while, but I have been doing a couple experiments. I have been using White Tea. I figured it would be a very mild tea. My first batch was very gross: 1/2 GTs Raw in 3 qt. Sweet Tea from my southern restaurant. It has way, way, way too much sugar in it! After about 2 weeks at 75F, it was about 1/2" thick and very vinegary. I made a new batch with the scoby and white tea with 1 cup natural cane sugar in 3 qts. After 1 week at 75F, I bottled it in mason jars. I was not happy with the taste. I let it sit for a few days and put 1 in the fridge to check carb levels. It was very sweet and no carbonation.

Now after 2 weeks, warm, it is very carbonated and very tasty. I am going to put in the fridge now.

I made a third batch with the daughter of the last and threw away the mother as she was kinda brown and discolored. The daughter was a nice bright white. This batch after 13 days at 72F is very tasty and slightly carbonated in the jar. I just noticed today a small spec of mold on top of the daughter on top of the surface. I am going to get this scoby out of the top and bottle this batch. Maybe with some fruit juices.

Has anyone drank tea with mold? I think this is brand new today or yesterday. It is one small white furry spot.

Cherry Street Brewing Cooperative
www.facebook.com/TannersVickery

Old 03-22-2011, 04:45 AM   #28
JScott613
Recipes 

I will write more tomorrow or the next day and comment on the rest of your post...for now I will comment on the mold......I read everywhere that if any mold grows, throw it away and start anew. Personally, I would experiment and scrape that bit of mold off and wait a few days to see if any more mold develops...if not, success! I would gander the tea is safe to drink....

Old 03-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #29
tannnick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It was time for bottling anyway, so I pulled the scoby off the top that had the small spec of furry mold and threw it away. Then I bottled the rest and left 1/4 with the big mother on the bottom.

I think I will be ok. I added juice when bottling for the first time. It seems to have carbonated quicker with adding more sugar, do you find this to be true? I found ginger juice at Whole Foods, I am stoked, cuz that is that GTs I drink.

Has anyone ever added more that 1 1/2 cups per gallon of sugar? Would it make it more stronger alcohol? Doesn't the fermentation have to be anaerobic in order for alcohol to produce?

Cherry Street Brewing Cooperative
www.facebook.com/TannersVickery

Old 03-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #30
mutedog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I add more sugar than that, it just means you'll (eventually) have a more sour kombucha. The ferment has to be anerobic for more alcohol, if my understanding is correct, the aceto bacteria can't process the alcohol into acetic acid without oxygen.

Maker of weird beers

Quick Reply