Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Mother from GT's Ginger Kombucha

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2011, 02:12 AM   #1
Shoki
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mother from GT's Ginger Kombucha

I am starting my SCOBY from storebought GT's Ginger Kombucha using these Instructions:
http://www.paprikahead.com/2009/07/h...ucha-from.html
We will see how it does.

--Shoki

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 01:20 AM   #2
tannnick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did it 3 weeks ago. I used a 3 qt olive glass jar and filled it with sweet tea from work, you know the southern sweet tea. Dumped 1/2 bottle of GTs and then bottled a few days ago. It grew a huge scoby on top. I should have bottled sooner because it got too vinegary and didnt let it sit warm in the bottle long enough to carbonate up. Maybe it used up all its energy on fermentation. I bet its like 2-3 percent. I can taste the alcohol! Ths was also like at 80F+ in the same room as my belgian beers fermenting real hot!

Next time I am going to use distilled water and some quality looseleaf tea. Also I am going to use a better sugar, even though white sugar is the best and easiest.

Good Luck!

Cherry Street Brewing Cooperative
www.facebook.com/TannersVickery

Shoki Likes This 
Old 02-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
Shoki
Recipes 

1 week later and I have a slight film over the surface of the tea. It is a little colder than it should be but I think it's close enough... I'll give it another week and see how it's doing.

This is the same result as the scoby I purchased so we'll see which one turns out best.

--Shoki

Old 02-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
bluerdg
Recipes 

I managed to get it to work. I was new to GT Dave's and the only place I could find any didn't have the 100% in stock. I did however find a variety of others that were listed as 95% raw, and the ginger was one of them. I used a standard black / green tea recipe (1 gal) and added a full bottle of the ginger Kombucha to it. Covered with a paper towel cap secured with a rubber band. Tucked it in under the counter and let it sit for about 2 weeks. Over that period, I had an opportunity to pick up a few more bottles of GT Dave's, including a bottle of the Green Tea 100% with a healthy looking glob in the bottle. I added that glob as well as the sediment and last inch or so of a couple other bottles of assorted flavors of Dave's over the 2 week period. It produced a somewhat weak (although drinkable) Kombucha as well as a thin semi-transparent scoby that I moved to a new batch along with about 2 cups of the liquid. I've had that new batch sitting for about 2 weeks now, and I've got a healthy mother that's formed. Opaque white about 6-7" diameter, solid texture. I haven't noticed any babies yet but my mother looks like a "Man o War" jellyfish with an abundance of tentacles that should be more than suitable for child formation on the next batch.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:13 AM   #5
Shoki
Recipes 

Checked mine today and it was molded so I had to toss it.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
tannnick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's a bummer. Do you put a paper towel or cheesecloth over the top? I use these chemistry lab flask sheets for air sanitation. They are blue and like a paper towel. I have had mine sitting for a couple weeks in the corner forgot about. I need to make another batch and get this lady movin' again!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
JScott613
Recipes 

Hello, all...I had started to brew my first batch of KT 11 days ago in a 2 gallon glass container. The first few days everything went quite well, but after day 2, It seems to have stopped progressing, visually speaking, though the smell had changed from a strong yeast odor to now a strong vinegar smell with only a bit of a yeasty smell, and this transition happened in just a day. No mold, just the initial bubbles with the milky substance between the "suds", which, as I'd stated already, is the initial stage, visually, but had not progressed into a scoby as yet. It is stored in a closet on a heating pad, which isn't all that hot even on its highest setting. Is it okay to still wait and see if it produces a mother?

Old 02-22-2011, 02:21 AM   #8
tannnick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That is all fine. From what I know. I have only done this one time, but have read a lot on it. You either need to add more sugar to get it going again or You should taste it now. Do you like it? Sweet? Sour? Pull off all put 15% and the growth and add this to a new batch. This should create a bigger mother. I used some really sweet tea (from a southern restaurant!) and it is alcoholic and vinegary and i have a 1/2" thick scoby mother off of 1 KT bottle in a 3 qt. olive jar!

Old 02-22-2011, 02:40 AM   #9
JScott613
Recipes 

If you were replying to my post, it would be difficult for me to believe that I would need to add more sugar to it so soon, seeing as I'd started it with 5 cups of sugar only 11 days ago. There is a film only 1/16" or so thick, assuming it is the scoby, I don't trust moving it at all for fear of damaging it.

I'm opting out of beginning a new batch for the time being, in fact, I just started a new batch earlier today before reading your reply, so, I am out of room and means to do so.

Do you still suggest adding more sugar to it? Does the vinegary smell generally indicate that the sugars have all been used up?

***half-hour later update here*** I had been pondering and decided it seems the right choice to add sugar, so, I'd added 1-1/4 cup.

Last edited by JScott613; 02-22-2011 at 03:10 AM.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:29 AM   #10
tannnick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What I suggest you do is sample the product. I do not suggest adding more sugar. I have heard that it will take a few rounds to create a really nice, big scoby after starting with a KT bottle. I used a ton of sugar, thus ending in a very vinegary product. Too vinegary. I will do it again with less sugar and not let it sit as long. 11 days is long enough to make a quality kombucha if at a good 75-80F.

Quick Reply