Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Mother gone bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
ltdead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mother gone bad?

I'm relatively knew to brewing kombucha - I think I started at some point in July. For the first time, one of my mothers looks 'wrong,' and I wanted a second opinion on it.

So, on the bottom part of the picture, you can see the 'skin' that grows on the surface of the tea. At the top of the picture, the 'skin' from previous batches is sort of dangling down from the new growth, and a bunch of bubbles from the culture have forced part of the SCOBY up and out of the liquid. At that point, the mother appears white, bumpy, and waxy. It doesn't look at all like mold to me - but it does look strange. Is that normal healthy growth, or is it unsafe? How do I tell the difference? Can I keep this batch, or do I have to toss it?

gedc1891.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 513

It looks ok to me. I've seen some strange formations on the scoby's, especially if it got 'injured' i.e. torn at any point, or if one corner of it submerged.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
Chana
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can test the pH of the batch. The pH should be between 2.5 and 4.6. Within this range, you are likely seeing new growth. Smell your tea. If it smells "right" it should be fine. It should smell a bit like apple cider vinegar when it's ready or like tangy tea.

Quick Reply