The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Massive Bubbles Inside SCOBY

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
buchababe90
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Massive Bubbles Inside SCOBY

I brewed a new batch of kombucha about a week ago and the mother didn't float to the top. There is a fragile baby that formed, but it doesn't cover the entire surface area of the jar and has massive air bubbles inside of it. Is this normal and is the batch drinkable?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
ThePonchoKid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

If there's no mold then it's most likely drinkable. I'm not certain I've ever had a mother stay submerged for that long, but it seems to happen sometimes.

Taste it once in awhile? Spit it out if it's rank? If the new scoby isn't spreading over the surface you might want to add some GT kombucha or apple cider vinegar. Or reassess your sugar and temperature content? Strength of the culture, temperature, and sugar content all could have a role in slow growth.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply