New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Kombucha too tart/ vinegary?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
Seton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kombucha too tart/ vinegary?

Hi, I've been brewing my own kombucha for about 6mos now and have used many different types of teas including some with organic rose petals, hibiscus or berries added. Some people say this isn't a good idea but my rose batches were some o the best I've had to date. Usually after about 7 says with the mother, I bottle and let the batch sit for another week or two. Secondary fermentation in the bottle usually causes the effervescence and kills the strong vinegar bite. One type of tea hasn't really successfully done this and continues to taste a bit too sour. Besides diluting it with juice or flavoring, what are my options? Should I just stay away from this specific tea? Let me know your experiences! Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 02:51 AM   #2
Vance71975
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seton View Post
Hi, I've been brewing my own kombucha for about 6mos now and have used many different types of teas including some with organic rose petals, hibiscus or berries added. Some people say this isn't a good idea but my rose batches were some o the best I've had to date. Usually after about 7 says with the mother, I bottle and let the batch sit for another week or two. Secondary fermentation in the bottle usually causes the effervescence and kills the strong vinegar bite. One type of tea hasn't really successfully done this and continues to taste a bit too sour. Besides diluting it with juice or flavoring, what are my options? Should I just stay away from this specific tea? Let me know your experiences! Any and all feedback is appreciated!
Well you could brew that tea and cut it half and half. Juice is an option or yes you can just avoid that tea. You can also add more sugar to it, put it back in with the mother wait 30 days and use it as Kombucha Vinegar in place of any thing you would use regular vinegar.

The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply