Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Kombucha starterkit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
taxidermist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kombucha starterkit

Where is a good place to buy a starter kit? I am interested in doing a batch, sat in on a seminar at the Mother Earth news fair in seven springs ,pa and didn't write any info down on the process, but now I want to try it out! Thanks I am new to this site

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
kingogames
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Make your own. Bottle of RAW kombucha, 1 cu. brewed black tea, 2 tbsp. of sugar, put all in your kombucha fermenter and let sit 3-4 weeks until scoby forms.

Then use 1/2 cu of that liquid + scoby to make kombucha. I do 1/2 gal H2O. bring to boil, add heaping 1/2 cu reg. sugar + 8 regular black tea bags. Steep til room temp. Add to scoby/starter. Ready in 5 days or so.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:00 AM   #3
littledrinky
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It might be worth giving your local home brew store a call, I know ours sells scobys.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
Leah
Recipes 

Hey, I'm new as well. I didn't purchase a kit when I started to brew. I actually just grew a SCOBY and then started to brew from there. No kit needed, unless that's really what you have your heart set on. They just seem so expensive. I used a Ball glass jar and added two GT original flavor kombucha bottles to the jar. Covered with cloth, put a rubber band around the top and just let it do it's thing. It took a while because it was cold out (I live in PA as well) but eventually I got a SCOBY and started a bigger batch I could drink.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:23 AM   #5
scobysurfer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I'm totally new and DID purchase a kit from Brooklyn Kombucha and just started brewing today! I reasoned that buying a fresh scoby is already half the price of a starter kit, so I just got the whole shabang.

Definitely worth reading this article where the author puts to test the three methods of starting a brew. http://www.foodrenegade.com/kombucha-scoby-experiment/

Quick Reply