Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Kombucha in stainless corny keg?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #21
cedar_lake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

A local company in Vermont sells their Kombucha in bulk out of kegerators. I've never opened one up to look but I'm pretty sure they are distributing from sixtels or sankes. If you click on "wholesale" on their website, a picture pops up that at least makes it look like they are using cornys:

http://www.aquaviteakombucha.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #22
ThePonchoKid
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

2.5 to 3.5 pH

I wouldn't bother using a corny. Best thing you can do is a continuous ferment in a food grade plastic carboy with spigot.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #23
ThePonchoKid
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

These are the best two professional pieces I've seen online. The plastic used in these can sustain acids way stronger than vinegar. Which is pretty much as acidic as Kombucha can get if left unmanaged.

https://ca.vwr.com/store/catalog/pro...mber=16117-984

http://www.minibrew.com/index.php?ma...&products_id=6

Alternately you could make your own like this guy http://frugalconicalfermenter.blogspot.ca/ you have to get in to his photostream on flickr to actually see the pictures.

Myself I'll likely buy the nalgene carboy or just buy one of the aforementioned ice tea jars with spigot. Never go steel

Old 04-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #24
ThePonchoKid
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegOutlet View Post
I wouldn't ferment kombucha in a stainless container... I'd look for a glass jug. Maybe a 3 gallon carboy?

Where'd you find your recipe? I've actually been interested in doing this.
Grab a bottle of gts kombucha tea from a local health food store. Boil 1 litre of water, remove from heat and drop in 4 green tea bags and 2 black tea bags. steep for 15 min, add 1 cup of sugar (or between 3/4-1-1/3) and dissolve. add 2 litres of cold water. make sure it's under 30c before adding the gts (under 28 Celsius to be safe). cover your fermenting medium with cloth (i use a coffee filtre) wait 8-10 days and drink. if you get gut rot (too acidic) chances are you're fermenting it too long, or drinking way too much

next batch do the same thing but make it 2.5L cold water now that you no longer need the gts for a starter.

on your first batch it wouldn't hurt to add 1tsp of apple cider vinegar. the acid will promote growth and inhibit unwanted baterium.

i think you can make a kombucha mother by using only apple cider vinegar. i haven't experimented to find out.

Kombucha is very resilient and flexible enough that you can use this recipe and then play around with variables such as temp and sugar and duration of ferment, according to your taste.

right now i've got a 3 week old batch that's turned to vinegar. i dumped nearly all of it save for enough to keep the mother floating. then I dropped about 1 tsp of sugar in it to keep it a little less starved. not having a continuous ferment set-up i can get a bit lazy

this is a 4L jar I found at a restaurant. it's scaled from hard water because i used to sit it in a heated aquarium to keep it at 26C, and I don't remove the old mothers until i get 3-6 of them. despite how disgusting this all looks, it's perfectly healthy and clean inside haha
p1010250.jpg  

Quick Reply