Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Kombucha in stainless corny keg?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #11
CHERYLinND
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 36
Default Sun Tea Jars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance71975 View Post
It could pit the stainless steel just like you can pit it by storing Star San in it for an extended period of time, and if it gets pitted it can ruin the keg and make it so that it wont hold pressure. I use a glass sun tea jug with a spigot on it, makes bootlegging a breeze!
I use sun tea jars, too, and I love them! I found six of them for under $40 from an online hardware store. I've never had leaks, but I did tighten the spigots before use.

http://www.ronshomeandhardware.com/7...r-p/535369.htm
__________________
CHERYLinND is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #12
spearko520
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: allentown, PA
Posts: 1,030
Liked 55 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Default

what are the spigots on your tea jars made out of? mine are stainless.

__________________

"i like to drink. I do it all the time, every day."- anthony jeselnik

spearko520 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 02:39 AM   #13
hxcpunk71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 67
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearko520 View Post
what are the spigots on your tea jars made out of? mine are stainless.
I'm curious about this too,because I can't find a solid 1 gallon glass jar anywhere!!!
__________________
HARDCORE BREWING
Don't start none, there won't be none!
I could really use some though!
hxcpunk71 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 02:48 AM   #14
spearko520
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: allentown, PA
Posts: 1,030
Liked 55 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Default

target has solid jars - 1g - 2 1/2 g- the 2 1/2 are 20 bucks- they have a silicone seal that works great - you just take the handle off, drill the hole out larger so it fits a grommet (like the kind on a bucket lid) put the grommet in the plastic silicone part and glue it onto the metal lid. they work great...

__________________

"i like to drink. I do it all the time, every day."- anthony jeselnik

spearko520 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 03:39 AM   #15
hxcpunk71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 67
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearko520 View Post
target has solid jars - 1g - 2 1/2 g- the 2 1/2 are 20 bucks- they have a silicone seal that works great - you just take the handle off, drill the hole out larger so it fits a grommet (like the kind on a bucket lid) put the grommet in the plastic silicone part and glue it onto the metal lid. they work great...
Thanks I appreciate the help!! Is it better to have a stainless spout or a plastic for bottling?
__________________
HARDCORE BREWING
Don't start none, there won't be none!
I could really use some though!
hxcpunk71 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #16
CHERYLinND
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 36
Default

Here's someone selling 4 1-gallon jars for $30.
http://www.happyherbalist.com/4one-g...asticlids.aspx

__________________
CHERYLinND is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #17
SikboarderTy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: reedsburg, wi
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxcpunk71 View Post
Thanks I appreciate the help!! Is it better to have a stainless spout or a plastic for bottling?
im also curious about this?

, i just bought 2, 1gal suntea jugs from st. vinnies, they have plastic spouts. ive read that plastic is bad for the culture, but i doubt that the tiny bit of plastic, that is considered food safe sticking into the bottle, will leach any toxins if at all into your tea. insight is always nice
__________________
SikboarderTy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 02:37 AM   #18
ChessRockwell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canton, ME
Posts: 558
Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SikboarderTy View Post
im also curious about this?

, i just bought 2, 1gal suntea jugs from st. vinnies, they have plastic spouts. ive read that plastic is bad for the culture, but i doubt that the tiny bit of plastic, that is considered food safe sticking into the bottle, will leach any toxins if at all into your tea. insight is always nice
I wouldn't worry about the plastic. If you're not fermenting the whole thing in an entirely plastic container, you should be fine. Metal, bad. Plastic, not best. But when you're only pouring through it not fermenting in it, I wouldn't worry about it at all.
__________________
ChessRockwell is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 07:19 AM   #19
kleinishere
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 16
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessRockwell View Post
I wouldn't worry about the plastic. If you're not fermenting the whole thing in an entirely plastic container, you should be fine. Metal, bad. Plastic, not best. But when you're only pouring through it not fermenting in it, I wouldn't worry about it at all.
On this note: after fermentation of the kombucha is done, do you all think there should be cause for concern in transferring to a CO2 pressurized keg and into a kegerator? Fermentation's over, cold temp, etc. At this point, are we OK w/ a neutralized, non-active substance or is the acidity still a factor in leeching metal from the keg?

There's mention, however rare, on the internet about kombucha on tap at some Whole Foods and restaurants so it's certainly being done. Wondering if there's something they may be doing differently. Would be awesome to have the beer / kombucha (healthier drink) combo to add some balance to a kegerator.
__________________
kleinishere is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #20
KegOutlet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 34
Default Stick with glass

I wouldn't ferment kombucha in a stainless container... I'd look for a glass jug. Maybe a 3 gallon carboy?

Where'd you find your recipe? I've actually been interested in doing this.

__________________
KegOutlet is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New To Kombucha Vance71975 Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum 11 08-27-2013 06:48 PM
Just getting into Kombucha BillyGHusk Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum 11 03-14-2012 12:10 PM
Kombucha Tea Extract LARRYLIVE Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum 0 08-25-2011 02:08 PM
I want to try Kombucha. Vance71975 Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum 2 06-30-2011 12:43 AM
Kombucha Ban TxBrew Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum 23 02-26-2011 05:12 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS