Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Kombucha Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
Micah2oo4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kombucha Question

Yeah so its about 6 days into my first batch and i notice a collection of white stringy stuff at the bottom of the big glass jar. Also a lot of white stringy stuff floating around inside the jar as well. Is this normal and safe to drink (when ready)?
I attempted to google white strings/stringy in kombucha and couldn't find anything other than brown string subjects.

I have a Starter Scoby (from friend) and a baby growing.

Edit: If the white stringy stuff gets into the cup i plan to drink out of, is it safe to consume?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
onipar
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

DO you have any pictures? I'm thinking it's fine. Kombucha tends to get all sorts of gross looking things floating in it. The one thing you want to watch out for is mold, but that doesn't sound like mold.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
Micah2oo4
Recipes 

Yeah my camera isn't good enough to take a decent photo of it. However on a side note, I noticed some grey looking stringy things floating around inside tonight(or early morning since i cannot sleep). So i took my scobys out and pulled it (the grey stuff) out of the jar and for some reason it was brown but while in the jar it looks grey. Is this mold or an illusion of glass+brown=grey?

on a side note: my kombucha smells like a cross of apple juice and pee (always get the 2 mixed up). Is it ready (assuming the eye tricking brown+glass=grey is not mold).

another side note: I have never tasted kombucha before so i have no idea.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
onipar
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Well, brown stringy stuff is definitely just yeast. I guess the glass made the color look different, but there is always brown stringy stuff (yeast). Some of it will hang from the scoby, and some will fall to the bottom.

I hope it doesn't smell like pee! Mine usually smells slightly of vinegar and also that "kombucha" smell that is hard to explain. I've heard people say it could taste like apple juice though.

How long has it been brewing? Basically there are 2 ways to tell if it's done. You can test the PH, and when it reaches 3, it's done. Or you can just keep tasting it until you like the way it tastes (not too sweet, fairly sour.)

Old 08-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
CHERYLinND
Recipes 

I'd leave it alone for a week or so, until you see a more solid-looking, white SCOBY forming. It takes awhile, especially when starting fresh.

Quick Reply