Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Kombucha flavoring

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
devon972
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kombucha flavoring

I am considering flavoring my Kombucha with strawberries + balsamic vinegar. However I am not sure if anything in the vinegar will aggravate the culture. Has anyone tried this yet??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I love kombucha, and your combination sounds good but I wouldn't add anything to the fermenting jar. Those flavors will not be there too much after fermentation and i think the vinegar might offset your culture.

Your best bet is to add them after transferring out of your primary. add some in the bottles.

Try here for a source for flavorings without worrying about the gooey strawberry leftovers.
http://www.naturesflavors.com/

Old 09-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
frailn
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

My wife brews kombucha and she has tried adding blueberries and mangos when she bottles in grolsch swing-tops. sometimes she will add a little fruit juice instead of whole fruit. We have tried pomegranate and blueberry/cranberry combos on the juices. They turn out great!

When you add fruit at bottling it will carb up. We have not gotten this down to an exact science regarding C02 volumes. I have been concerned for bottle bombs because her bottled kombucha is heavily carbed after a week sitting at room temp. Thus, I suggested she use the swingtop bottles, I hear they are stronger than regular beer bottles.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:22 AM   #4
flowerysong

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Vinegar won't be a problem, but flavouring after the fact is probably still the way to go.

Primary #1 - Empty
Primary #2 - Empty
Secondary #1 - The Jolly Toper's Undrinkable Ale
Secondary #2 - Empty

Old 11-07-2011, 02:15 AM   #5
MakeshiftBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
When you add fruit at bottling it will carb up. We have not gotten this down to an exact science regarding C02 volumes.
Get a hydrometer or refractometer to measure the SG or Brix of your fruit juice, and factor in the dilution when you add it to your Kombucha. 1 Brix is 1g of sucrose in 100g of liquid, you should then be able to use a carbonation tool (free online) to figure out the rest. Just a little backwards calculating.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #6
Varming
Recipes 

In my last batch I added apple vinegar as (or instead of) the starter fluid and it's working really well - actually a lot better than the kombucha that came with the scoby. So apple vinegar doesn't harm the scoby for sure

Quick Reply