Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Is Kombucha dangerous to wine/beer making?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2011, 05:27 AM   #1
CandleWineProject
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Is Kombucha dangerous to wine/beer making?

I bought a kit to make kombucha a while ago, and I finally got around to starting it this week. Then I do some reading. Wikipedia refers to the SCOBY as being a mother of vinegar and talking about acetobactor and what not. Now I'm worried that I brought the dreaded enemy vinegar maker into my house. All my wine and cider will turn to vinegar! Oh, wait, nobody seems to be alarmed. I can't even seem to google the topic. I wonder if that is because most kombucha makers don't make wine/beer, so I was hoping this group on a brew site could tell me if I'm wrong and overly paranoid, or if it is the dreaded evil but everything will be okay as long as I use separate equipment?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1235 Times on 821 Posts
Likes Given: 563

Even before you brought in your Kombucha mother, your house was chock-a-block with aceto, lacto, peddio, etc., not to mention wild yeasts. Sanitation, as always, is important, and it might be a good idea to use separate sets of plastic for transfers. But, beyond that, there's no added risk really.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

My dad makes kombucha and wine if that makes you feel better.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Separate equipment with some distance too, and don't do open air fermentations with both side to side. That really applies to any fermenatable item.

For example there was a resturant that had to dump a lot of beer because they did a trial fermentation next to a kimchee vat that was also fermenting and there was some crossover that made it much more sour than expected. (I still would have been willing to try it though). Thankfully they're getting more warehouse space for more batches so they won't be doing that again.

Quick Reply