Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Kombucha/Beer Blending - Anyone tried it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 12:58 AM   #11
zing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had a keg of my hoppy kombucha and an American pale ale on tap at the same time. Those two were GREAT blended together—I'd like to try blending a bit of the kombucha in right at the end of the boil to pasteurize it, but I wonder if the cold and O2 starved environment of the keg might be enough to prevent any unwanted refermentation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 01:06 AM   #12
BennyDarko
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessRockwell View Post
That's cool, sounds like an interesting experiment anyway. So I'm not sure I understand correctly, you're going to pitch just a scoby to the 1 gallon to ferment it? Are you using any starter tea to keep it acidic enough?
That's right, I just pitched a scoby in 1 gallon and fermented for 2 weeks. I added vinegar to acidify until the pH was around 5, but it didn't take very much.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:09 AM   #13
BennyDarko
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
I had a keg of my hoppy kombucha and an American pale ale on tap at the same time. Those two were GREAT blended together—I'd like to try blending a bit of the kombucha in right at the end of the boil to pasteurize it, but I wonder if the cold and O2 starved environment of the keg might be enough to prevent any unwanted refermentation.
As long as you're kegging it's totally worth a try since you can just bleed off pressure as needed if you did have any fermentation happening. It'd be kinda fun to watch as the flavor change over time.

Unfortunately I'm still on bottles so I'm stuck with pasteurization for now.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:11 AM   #14
zing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, the real fun experiment would be taking some of that once it's carbed and putting it into CO2 purged bottles to see if anything forms.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #15
Ewen
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I just tried my first home brewed kombucha beer blend. I added 80mls of one week old, fully fermented KBC, per 500ml bottle of rye saison (7.4%abv), WITHOUT pasteurizing it. After about 3 weeks in the bottle, the taste is incredible, genuinely like a lambic. Lots of complexity, but not much sourness. It doesn't taste at all like kombucha to be honest. Nor does it taste like the rest of the saison which wasn't dosed. I wondered if the bugs from the KBC munched up some of the alcohol, as it doesn't seem as strong. Btw, there was no scoby in the bottle. I'd definitely repeat this experiment, as I'm very pleased with the results. However, I would definitely reduce my priming sugar, as the unpasteurized KBC seems to have added seriously intense carbonation.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #16
Ewen
Recipes 

What results in taste have you people had from your experiments?

Old 07-16-2012, 03:07 AM   #17
Sdaji
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Just out of curiosity I tried sticking a shot of Bourbon into a glass of kombucha. The resulting cocktail was a very mild, mellow, bland, boring drink. Not offensive or unpleasant, but the alcohol in the Bourbon seemed to neutralise the acid and vice versa. A waste of two good things, unless perhaps you were trying to get some floosy drunk, but unless she was pretty stupid she'd be very sus about what you were feeding her.

My cocktail was dull, but I'd love to try your kombucha-home brewed beer mix. I'll try making my own and see how it goes.

Happy brewing and experimenting

Peak oil, peak ocean, peak soil, peak water... we're all going to die. Party while you can :)

Old 07-16-2012, 03:58 AM   #18
BennyDarko
Recipes 

So, today I tasted a sample from the carboy and decided it wasn't sour enough. I decided to take a separate batch of kombucha and add it a little at a time until I was satisfied with the taste. Upon reflection, I think I got a little carried away with it, because it ended up being a little over the top. My keg just became open the other day and I didn't feel like pasteurizing all of it like I had previously planned to do, so I ended up just racking into a corny.

The tastes I've had today have been pretty good, but the other people I've offered samples to have hated it (not too unlike kombucha in general). My roommate told me it tasted exactly like beer blended with tomato juice... It's definitely funky, but not like any other sour beer funk I've ever had.

I'm gonna reserve my judgement for now. Once it gets carbonated then I'll have a much better idea of whether this experiment is worth redoing/refining. I'll try to make up some more formal tasting notes and post those. I'm also very curious to see how it changes over time in the keg. As always I'll try and keep yall updated.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:45 AM   #19
louie0202
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Fleur from Goose Island use it.

Primary #1: French Saison (AG), Orval Clone (AG), The Number Eight (AG), Argentine Malbec, Belgian Blonde (AG)

Quick Reply