HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Kombucha Ban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 04:23 PM   #11
FromZwolle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

oh, well. scobies will stay legal. Hey Tx. pm me if you want and i'll ship you one of mine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3444

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Revvy, did you really just include TMZ in a list of "News sources"?
But sadly, and the scary thing is, that it IS now considered a "reputable" news agency. *gawd, what has this world come to?*

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #13
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I really should get my wife into brewing kombucha. She used to be quite the health nut. She's still pretty healthy, but I think I've ruined her.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 07-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #14
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Interesting. Brew Dr. Kombucha here in Portland is a vendor at the farmers market I sell at and they were there the last 4 weeks. This week finally with their taps flowing. Is it just retailers that are taking the stance? Producers can still sell direct? Or....?

Old 07-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #15
shawnbou
Zyme Lord

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 44

My wife and I have been drinking lots of kombucha lately, and this ban is doing nothing but making us want to start brewing our own even sooner than we had planned. Once we get a 1-2 gallon vessel and a scoby, we're going for it.

TxBrew - not sure how often you get up to Austin, but I think you can still get Buddha's Brew (local brand) at some of the local farmer's markets. It's a bit more filtered than GT's but they have some good flavors and they give a discount for refilling your old bottles.

Read my brewing blog here! Last of the Zyme Lords

BOUSIRIS BOUERY - Home of the Zyme Lord
The cans of Leinenkugel's had masking tape on them with JOHN'S printed in ink. Amy looked around me and said, "John is protective about his beer, isn't he?"
"I put that label on there. When company comes I want them to know the Leinie's is his, not mine."
- David Wong

On Tap:
Anna Livia Irish Stout
Gondor IPA
Melancholy Bill's Infinitely Sad Pumpkin Ale
Lucian's Landing Ginger Metheglin

Old 07-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #16
TxBrew
Der Administrator

Recipes 

Liked 1367 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 803

Yea I used to buy cases of Buddha's Brew, my friend runs Live Oak on Manchaca and he said they can't get Buddha's Brew right now.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:51 AM   #17
Emerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnbou View Post
My wife and I have been drinking lots of kombucha lately, and this ban is doing nothing but making us want to start brewing our own even sooner than we had planned. Once we get a 1-2 gallon vessel and a scoby, we're going for it.

TxBrew - not sure how often you get up to Austin, but I think you can still get Buddha's Brew (local brand) at some of the local farmer's markets. It's a bit more filtered than GT's but they have some good flavors and they give a discount for refilling your old bottles.
Brew your self a cup of nice green or black tea or mix of both( my favorite was the mix of green and black about two to one ratio) and add about 2 heaping teaspoons sugar while it is hot and let it cool and add about 1/2 cup to one cup of your kombucha that you buy to it, all kombucha should be live or you wouldn't get the good stuff from it. put it all in a mason jar and put a paper towel or tea towel over it with a rubber band to keep out the bugs and dust and within a week or so you should see a new baby scoby growing, once it gets a bit thicker you can start adding more fresh tea/sugar and soon you will have your own big mother and can make as much as you like!
I've done this with the GTdave's and it turned out really well both times, and since I used the raspberry flavor the first little baby scoby was pink!

Old 07-10-2010, 04:48 AM   #18
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
Brew your self a cup of nice green or black tea or mix of both( my favorite was the mix of green and black about two to one ratio) and add about 2 heaping teaspoons sugar while it is hot and let it cool and add about 1/2 cup to one cup of your kombucha that you buy to it, all kombucha should be live or you wouldn't get the good stuff from it. put it all in a mason jar and put a paper towel or tea towel over it with a rubber band to keep out the bugs and dust and within a week or so you should see a new baby scoby growing, once it gets a bit thicker you can start adding more fresh tea/sugar and soon you will have your own big mother and can make as much as you like!
I've done this with the GTdave's and it turned out really well both times, and since I used the raspberry flavor the first little baby scoby was pink!
I did this recently (a few weeks before the ban) and it works great. The tea mix that I use is about 2 parts black tea to 1 part yerba mate. sometimes I throw some roobos in there too. For sugar I use a mix of unrefined cane sugars. Azucar Morena, Demurura, and Rapidura, depending on what I've got on hand.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 07-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #19
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I dumped a whole bottle of GT into a batch of tea and nothing...
Tea was cooled to room temp - it's been two weeks.
The tea still smells awesome, nothing bad happening in there but nothing good either.

Due to recent economic crisis, stock market crash, budget cuts, and the rising cost of everything including taxes: "The Light at the End of The Tunnel" has been turned off.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #20
Emerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerocd View Post
I dumped a whole bottle of GT into a batch of tea and nothing...
Tea was cooled to room temp - it's been two weeks.
The tea still smells awesome, nothing bad happening in there but nothing good either.
How much tea did you use? If you used a full batch of tea and only put one bottle in it will take much longer to work than just using the one cup of tea/sugar and half the bottle of GT It might still work, but it is just taking it sweet ol' time.

Quick Reply