Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Just started my Water Kefir experiments

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2012, 12:54 AM   #11
endlesssummer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hm. My water kefir grow really slowly, but even after a week (1 pint water, 1/2 grains, 1/4 cup sugar dissolved into syrup), the water is still very, very sugared and too sweet for my taste. I'd love it if the taste went towards vinegar, as I actually don't like drinking sugar.

Any guidance on what I might be doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 01:30 AM   #12
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 513

He endlesssummer, you might need some 'nutrients' for your gains. Just having water and sugar, esp if you are using refined white sugar, may not be providing everything the grains need to thrive. Some azomite powder, dolomite powder, ginger, lemon zest, raisins, etc., might help provide nutrients. Also if you are using chlorinated water that is a no no, grains do not like that.

I brewed some things with water kefir grains for a while. For some reason anything I drank fermented by it gave me gas in the most horrible way. The most interesting thing I brewed was something I saw on Dom's kefir site about using Don Quai powder and some sort of ginseng powder. What Dom said about it is absolutely true. Unfortunately it is very very short lived as he also says. I do brew milk kefir daily in raw grass fed cow's milk, that comes out absolutely delicious.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #13
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

@endless---1/2 ____ of grains? cup, tablespoon? I would bet your ratios are off, 1 pint of water would need just 2 tbsp of grains and 2 tbsp sugar. Usually within 48hr at 70-72F alot of the sugar has been utilized. But there are many variables: adjustment period for grains, quality of water, nutrients/additives, temperature, ferment with access to oxygen recommended, etc.

Water grains (WKG) can be used in milk since they contain several lactobacilli strains, but you will get a different product then fermenting milk with milk kefir grains(MKG). And the water grains really need to go back to a water-sugar solution for 24-48hr to maintain them, they just do better. Milk grains can also be converted to ferment pure juice/nectar/sugar water (many long time kefir makers call these "transmogged milk grains")--but they do not need to go back in milk since they have an adjustment phase (just use excess MKG), they will not grow without lactose, but should kefirize you juice/nectar,etc. for a good 6-9 months before they die. There is a "kefir starter" on the market--these are not grains but a powder that will typically make up to seven batches--this starter also does not contain the same organisms that the grains will produce.

In regard to cloudy water when using WKG that is normal since they are introducing yeast among other things. If your water:grain:sugar ratio is off your grains may not grow well (mine double in weight every 2-3 ferments) and they will not make a nice kefir. Improper ratios commonly produce a thick or slimy water.

Ideally you use 1 cup good water (spring, mineral, hard well): 1 tbsp grains: 1 tbsp sugar. Do not use RO or distilled water, avoid chlorine and sulfites. I usually make 3-4 cups each batch: I always add 1/4 lemon (for every 3-4 cups water)-do not squeeze until grains removed, 1 dried sulphur free fig or 5-10 sulphur free raisins plus 1/8 tsp blackstrap molasses (molasses every other batch). The only other thing I add in primary is chunks of ginger or hibiscus or other citrus (have found grains can get damaged..ie mushy--dying). Cover with breathable cloth, place in cabinet/counter corner away from sunlight and taste in 24hr, in 48hr--strain when enough sweetness is gone, squeeze lemon into the grain-free water kefir (or you can use in next batch). You can now proceed with the secondary (flavor) ferment. To the fresh WK, you can add tea, juice, concentrate, fruit, herbs, etc. Cover with lid, place on counter for 24hr (or until first bit of foam develops is fruit was used) and then transfer to refrig. The sealed container will start to carbonate, if you want still WK just twist the lid open a tad so the CO2 comes out. Just like any ferment you risk bottle bombs if you leave at room temp in a sealed container for too long--use caution and common sense.

Here is a very active Yahoo kefir forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kefir_making/ Great source for grain sharing, advice, recipes, etc. And then the "father of kefir, Dom in AU": http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/Makekefir.html History, studies, recipes, list of organisms, colony counts, all you want to know.

Sorry for long post.

Motto: quel che sara sara

porcupine73 Likes This 
Old 10-10-2012, 03:54 AM   #14
virtualpaul
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I usually leave it at room temperature with the following:
- filtered water (water without chlorine)
- wathever sugar I have on hand (white, fructose, brown sugar, cane sugar, molasse)
- something for taste which is optional (ginger root, raisin, cranberry, ...)

After a day or two I put it in the fridge and take a cup once in a while until it is near empty and then I restart the process.

To make it taste less sweet, just let it ferment longer. After a month in the fridge, it usually tastes almost like vinegar.

My grains never grow much but it works anyhow.

Quick Reply