Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Just getting into Kombucha

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
BillyGHusk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Just getting into Kombucha

and have a couple of quick questions:

Other than flavor differences is there any reason to use specif types of tea, Black vs. Green vs. Yerba maté.

Also, are there reasons not to add fruit before bottling? Seems like you could get more flavor if you have the fruit in the "primary" as well.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tim

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
Emerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Talking

Since the kombucha "mother' or "scoby" is a living thing that is moved from jar to jar or in same jar with more sugar tea added, it might not grow well or it might get infected by fruit in the "primary" . Also keep it covered by a nice tea towel or paper towel held down tight- fruit flies love the stuff and will lay eggs in the mother, then ya have to start over. You do not need to do a "secondary" to make it fizzy, many people like it flat, even tho it is not really, flat, flat.
Since the "secondary" is just to make it fizzy by capturing the co that the yeast is putting out and not to make alcohol, you really do get quite a bit of flavor from adding just a few pieces of fruit/ginger etc.. to the bottle... The secondary is usually only about 3 to 6 days and then you put it in the fridge so it is nice and cold to drink. Now I have had a finished "secondary" in the fridge for over 5 months before drinking(lost two bottles in the bottom of the fridge) and the flavor was just as nice as the ones that I drank at one week in the fridge.. But more fizzy- it erupted out and all over the sink!

There is a small amount of alcohol in kombucha but not enuf to really tell, but for folks who are sensitive they might be able to tell it is there... About the same amount as what is in root beer if you ferment the fizz naturally.

And just in case I didn't say- Scoby refers to "symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast" lol The real reason that big live mushroom is called a mother or scoby-- it just sounds better! Mine in the summer would also "breath" it was just the CO coming up and moving the mother up and down , but it can be kinda creepy- I even named mine--It was Minnie the mother... You will also get kind brown looking swirls of stuff in the liquid, it is safe to drink, but I was kinda creeped out by it and usually strained my into the glass...

As for teas- I have used green, black, and a mix of green and black and even used white a couple of times, but I prefer the mix of green and black flavor wise. I have read about folks using the Roosbi(sp here it is a red tea) and having good luck.
Scoby likes the caffeine in tea so I don't use de-caf.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:54 AM   #3
Rawvegangirl
Recipes 

Thanks for all that info! I can't go without my Kombucha!

Old 06-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
Emerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawvegangirl View Post
I too am thinking of starting another one cuz that stuff is expensive! It is about $3.39 at the local health food store right now! Why that is more than a good beer!

Old 06-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
FromZwolle
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i've read that any teas with artificial flavorings (ie-orange, chai, berry) are bad for the yeasts and may kill them off.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
chazzman
Recipes 

Has anyone tried using instant tea and cold water?

Old 06-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
FromZwolle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzman View Post
Has anyone tried using instant tea and cold water?
yep. not as good as normal tea. as far as cold water, you'll want the tea room temp before you 'pitch' anyway if that's what you were referring to.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #8
chazzman
Recipes 

Thank you for the reply. I was concerned about stray bugs in the water if it wasn't
boiled. Cold water could traumatize the SCOBY, is that what you mean? I think you
are right and I will likely continue to boil. I appreciate your feedback.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
FromZwolle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzman View Post
Thank you for the reply. I was concerned about stray bugs in the water if it wasn't
boiled. Cold water could traumatize the SCOBY, is that what you mean? I think you
are right and I will likely continue to boil. I appreciate your feedback.
i was actually referring to the opposite, as too warm of water would damage the scoby. cold water might shock some of the yeast/bacteria into dormancy, but they'd wake up when it returns to room temp. i definitely wouldn't worry much about stray bugs, as that is pretty much what a scoby is anyway.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
Rossnaree
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawvegangirl View Post
Wow, we thought you were dead! ---> http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f167/new-forum-181043/

101 years and still going?

Good to see that you're still around.

- Tim

EDIT: Ooops, 2010, thought that her post was from THIS June 8th...

Some knowledge will never be shared, not from a desire to conceal it, but because it is so common to the individual that it is assumed to be already known.

Primary: Chardonel
Secondary: Apfelwein, Chambourcin, Blackstone Pond American Ale, King of the North, Concord, 2nd wine from pulp of both
Bottled: Bavarian Hefeweizen, Dortmunder, King of the North (2010), Apfelwein (2010), Lesser Wilderness Mead (2010), King of the North (2nd wine - 2010)

Last edited by Rossnaree; 06-12-2011 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Oops! She might be...

Quick Reply