Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > I just grew my first Scoby

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 02:45 AM   #1
knittingmomma
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I just grew my first Scoby

I started a scoby from KT 3 weeks ago and she's formed. I am so excited. I've brewed some tea to move her tomorrow. MY question is can I drink this first batch? I tasted a bit tonight and it is VERY vinegary - much stronger than the store bought variety. Do I put it in a bottle and drink it - or do I have to pitch this first batch? Also do I need to let it sit bottled to make it fizzy? I truthfully didn't think it would form as I was reading somehwere that using a store bought bottle as a starter has low success. Now I'm not sure what to do

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Vance71975
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingmomma View Post
I started a scoby from KT 3 weeks ago and she's formed. I am so excited. I've brewed some tea to move her tomorrow. MY question is can I drink this first batch? I tasted a bit tonight and it is VERY vinegary - much stronger than the store bought variety. Do I put it in a bottle and drink it - or do I have to pitch this first batch? Also do I need to let it sit bottled to make it fizzy? I truthfully didn't think it would form as I was reading somewhere that using a store bought bottle as a starter has low success. Now I'm not sure what to do
Don't Pitch it, but i wouldn't drink it either(unless you like the strong vinegary taste), if it is that vinegary i would use it in place of Vinegar(and it is better for you than distilled white vinegar cause it is still pro-biotic!). Use it on your salads etc. This is what i plan to do with my first batch after my new SCOBY grows(If it grows, i was given 9 bottles of "past the best by date" Vibranz so i thought i would try to culture a SCOBY before i pay to buy one!)

The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply