*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > How long do you brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
karmalife
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How long do you brew?

I've been brewing Kombucha since the summer but am wondering what the average length of time is for brewing? I started with 10 days then realized that it was too sweet. My last batch worked out well at 4 weeks but I'm afraid I've let my recent batch go past that- I believe it's at about 8 weeks now. It tastes really flat. Should I ditch it? How long do you usually brew for? I searched the threads but couldn't find this answer. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I only make by four cup batches and find that five days with scoby intact is my preferance, and then I add my flavor building and it parks for another 1-4 days on counter, then I transfer to bottles and tightly cap or just tighten the lid on counter container and refrigerate. My drinks are nicely carbonated.

I do believe the volume of your ferment will be indicative of number of ferment days, along with temperature. Taste can be impacted by type of tea used.

Just removed the scoby from a four cup batch which used a tea made from 2 restaurant size jasmine green teabags and two orange pekoe, 2 tbsp sugar per cup of...68f on counter...delicious as is but I can never resist adding fruit or juice, etc.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 11-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 513

It depends on a lot on the temperature it is in, how much sugar you use, and even the surface area of the vessel. Typically 8-14 days is what people use I think; if you bottle it air tight with very little air it will continue to get more sour but not necessarily 'vinegary'. So normally once you get it where you like it you want to bottle it say in swing tops and then keep it cool to keep it from fermenting much further before consumption.

Quick Reply