Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Home brewer Sauerkraut?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #41
porcupine73
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 513

My first attempt with grocery store cabbage did not work for some reason, it just didn't seem to want to ferment, even though I had added whey. I'm wondering if it was GMO cabbage I had gotten, and maybe if it was somehow poisonous to the fermenting organisms.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #42
escapeman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
My first attempt with grocery store cabbage did not work for some reason, it just didn't seem to want to ferment, even though I had added whey. I'm wondering if it was GMO cabbage I had gotten, and maybe if it was somehow poisonous to the fermenting organisms.

How long did you let it ferment?

Old 09-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #43
mrmcdowe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It was 5 weeks without looking in crock and not adding brine. It was RANK smelling when I did look.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #44
porcupine73
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapeman View Post
How long did you let it ferment?
Those were let ferment for a few days at room temperature then for several months in a fridge set at about 45F. It was an attempt at fermenting in mason jars.

After that, I got two Harsch 10L crocks and buy organic produce to make the kraut (I actually make something more like curtido). Organic is far from perfect but supposedly organic foods cannot be GMO so that makes me feel a little better anyway.

I'm hoping to maybe grow all my own produce next year if I can squeeze it into my schedule. I've heard cabbage almost always gets a worm in each head I think from cabbage moths if they aren't sprayed with anything. But I'm wondering if that is such a bad thing ... supposedly many insects are actually very nutritious.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #45
kincade
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For those of you that do smaller batches of sauerkraut, what vessell options are there other than crocks? Id like to try my hand at making some, but spending $150 for a crock doesnt seem very cost efficient or plausible. OTOH Ive read that its tough to make good kraut without the crock and stone.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

-kincade

Old 09-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #46
mrmcdowe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Google making it in mason jars ( Internet is down). I saw one made from a chef and I followed his directions and it worked well.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:57 PM   #47
porcupine73
Recipes 

The main benefit of the crocks such as Harsch is that they pretty much eliminate the yellowish yeasty stuff growing on the top since they maintain pretty much a perfectly anerobic atmosphere. But they are definitely definitely not required. A popular option is the 5 gal Ohio Stonware crocks for about $50, if you have an Ace Hardware nearby you can get free shipping to it. They have smaller ones too. Then you use some elastic and tie a bedsheet around it. You do need a few inches of brine over the top and then you scum off the yucky stuff in the first inch or two when harvesting it. Because you can easily to sauerkraut as an open ferment for the entire time.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:28 AM   #48
escapeman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmcdowe View Post
It was 5 weeks without looking in crock and not adding brine. It was RANK smelling when I did look.
I scrape off the scum when the kraut starts to stink. I'm then good for a few days until I scrape if off again.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #49
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2187 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 2169

I use small buckets (2 or 2.5 gallon icing buckets - often free at grocery store bakeries). A layer of plastic wrap on top of your kraut and some weight in top bucket and you'll have a nice anaerobic fermentaion environment for fermentation. I'm thinking of rigging up a 2nd mash tun similarly for sour mashes.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #50
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2347 Times on 1666 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

I tried making sauerkraut earlier this year, but it was fairly warm. It got pretty nasty. I found that you need to ferment it at a cool temperature for best results.

I've still left the jar of goo on the counter. I'm waiting for someone in the household to either dump it out or pay me to do it...

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS